JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

how to change front struts on a 2003 chevy trailblazer 4x4

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.

a strut spring compressor will be needed unless you buy a loaded strut assembly

Bulletin No.: 06-03-08-011

Date: August 28, 2006

SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE

Subject:
Revised Shock Module Replacement

Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2002-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being issued to revise the Shock Module Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual. Please replace the current information in the Service Manual with the following information.

The following information has been updated within SI. If you are using a paper version of this Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

The recommended tool to use is J 36607 instead of J 24319-B.

Shock Module Replacement

Tools Required

J 36607 Ball Joint Separator

Removal Procedure

Remove the shock module upper retaining nuts.

Use care when handling the coil springs in order to avoid chipping or scratching the coating. Damage to the coating will result in premature failure of the coil springs.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.

Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.

Loosen the shock module yoke to lower control arm retaining nut.

Remove the shock module yoke from the lower control arm using J 36607. Pry the yoke away from the control arm to install the J 36607.

Remove the J 36607 and the shock module yoke to lower control arm retaining nut.

Remove the shock module from the shock tower and lower control arm.

Installation Procedure

Install the shock module to the shock tower and lower control arm.

Install the shock module yoke to the lower control arm.

Lower the vehicle.

Refer to Fastener Notice.

Install the shock module upper retaining nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the shock module upper retaining nuts to 45 N.m (33 lb ft). Raise the vehicle.

Install the shock module yoke to lower control arm retaining nut.

Tighten

Tighten the shock module yoke to lower control arm retaining nut to 110 N.m (81 lb ft). Install the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.

Lower the vehicle.