Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

95 chevy: 2wd..vin..The trans is stuck in 2nd gear..speedo

I have a 95 chevy 2500 2wd 350 vin k. The trans is stuck in 2nd gear, the speedo, tach and gear indicator dont work. The truck doesnt upshift or downshift and when you put it in gear; either fwd or reverse, it jumps big time. There is no check engine light nor any codes stored. It also sounds like a low tone growl is coming from the torque converter or that area. What does this seem like to you? Could a solenoid have gone bad and shorted the ecm?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
In the fuse panel on the end of the drivers side of the dash, check the 10 amp fuse in the #20 position. This fuse supplies power to the transmission solenoids and to the speedometer. If this fuse is blown, replace the fuse and tape up the wiring that is missing insulation at the transmission, particularly the pink wire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry I forgot to include that. I already checked the fuse. That was actually the first thing I did. The fuse was good but I did try another one with the same results. I was thinking maybe a wire had a break in it somewhere seeing that it's rotten. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Use a voltmeter or test light to check for voltage at this fuse with the key on. If you have voltage at this fuse, test for voltage on the pink wire at the transmission connector.

If you have no voltage at this fuse, the problem is a bad ignition switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good point now that I'm home and looking at a wiring diagram I see that it's all tied together from that fuse. Now if the ignition switch was bad and not supplying that fuse with power, it wouldn't power the distributor or the ECM for startup. Does that sound right? Also, does the ignition have brown accessory and the pink ignition only or is there another hot wire. I'm used to older Chevys and haven't really messed with The obd1 era. I'm just now learning how to tune obd2. I got the mechanical part down but electrical is still new to me. What I know I taught myself with influence from guys like you. Anyway I appreciate your time and info. Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The ignition switch has several sets of contacts and several circuits that feed off the switch. According to the diagrams, you have pink and brown wires, as well as a white wire. This white wire only feeds the trans fuse. This is in no way connected to the ignition circuits for the coil or ecm.So this is most likely going to be a bad ignition switch. I have included the power distribution schematics for you below.

graphic

graphic