Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

I have an 05 equinox that developed a rumble noise in the rear

Customer Question

I have an 05 equinox that developed a rumble noise in the rear of the car two days ago.Rear brakes are a little squeeky so I pulled the drum from the drivers side rear and the shoes are fine.The rumble sound starts at about 25 miles an hour,almost like it's going harmonic.The rear tire is tight and there is no play in the axle.I was thinking possibly wheel bearing or center bearing in the drive shaft.any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello

We replace a lot of wheel bearings on these cars. But it sound like you have an all wheel drive vehicle. The rear differential could also be causing the noise. There is not a way to pinpoint the noise other than listening to it. If it is an AWD, you can jack all 4 wheels off the ground and run the vehicle in the air and see if you can hear the noise and try to pinpoint where its coming from. Throwing parts at it gets expensive. Some wheel bearings are the same for each side and we sometimes will swap them side to side and see if the noise changes sides.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the fast response.It is AWD and I am planning on changing out the syn lube in the dif.It came on fast and with only 70,000 miles I am hoping it's not in the rear end.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
They use the Versa track fluid in the rear axle which is about $30 a quart. The rear axle normally makes the noise on turns. GM has you to remove the rear drive shaft and drive it with the shaft removed and see if the noise changes.
A lot of times if it is a wheel bearing, you can swerve the car while its making the noise and if the noise changes, the wheel bearing is the likely problem. you can try that at different speeds to see if it does change. Rear wheel bearing you have to swerve hard to get the body to shift weight side to side. Its not an accurate test unless it does change noise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's a good idea about the rear shaft.I'll do that later.This is a constant straight line noise.Turning to either side makes no change.I appreciate the help and I'll use your help again.Hopefully I won't have to but it's good to know you're there.I'll let you know what I find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well.I had to pull the whole drive shaft.The noise is still there.How in the world am I supposed to get the shaft back in with the six ball bearings all lose?The piece that holds the bearings and cage doesn't want to come off the trnas axle.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
It has the 4 bolts that hold it in the back and the 6 or 8 bolts that hold it in the front to the transmission and then the center bearing support bolts. Sometimes you have to tap it for it to come out.