Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how do you remove the dash pad on a 1985 corvette

Customer Question

I need to replace the burn off module on my 85 vette which is behind the dash pad. how do i remove the dash pad?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Instrument Panel and Pad

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1984-88 Vehicles

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel pad, as follows:
    1. Remove the instrument panel cluster bezel.
    2. Remove the steering column tilt lever.
    3. Unfasten the 5 screws securing the instrument panel pad to the carrier.
    4. Remove the 2 screws from the defroster ducts.
    5. Remove the instrument panel pad.

3. Unfasten the 2 left close out panel attaching screws. Detach the courtesy lamp electrical connector, then remove the panel.
  4. Remove the right side instrument panel trim and fuse cover.
  5. Unfasten the 4 upper dash brace attaching screws, then remove the braces.
  6. Remove the right flexible A/C duct hose and duct.
  7. Unfasten the 2 screws securing the instrument panel to the side glass defroster hose.
  8. Remove the right side trim pad.
  9. Unfasten the retainers, then remove the right lower carpeted panel.
  10. Remove the radio.
  11. Remove the 4 screws from the center cluster and carrier.
  12. Tag and detach the electrical connectors from the main cluster. Note that there are metal clips on the back of the connectors.
  13. Remove the center cluster.
  14. Unfasten the 4 main cluster screws.
  15. Remove the console bezel and shift handle. Unplug the bulb connector.
  16. Remove the 4 A/C control-to-instrument panel mounting screws, then push the control back through the opening.
  17. Unfasten the headlamp switch attaching nut.

FIG : Fig. 1: Exploded view of the instrument panel pad and carrier assembly-1984 vehicle shown, others similar

image

• Remove the fog lamp switch.
  • Remove the trim piece at the hood release handle.
  • Remove the steering column trim cover and the 2 column attaching bolts.
  • Unfasten the 2 bolts securing the carrier to the console. Remove the 2 nuts from the upper sides of the console and the 2 bolts from the lower sides. Detach the fuse block from the carrier.
  • Detach the center A/C duct.
  • Disconnect the left side A/C duct, then remove the 2 screws from the carrier-to-defroster duct.
  • Remove the harness-to-carrier screws from the backside of the carrier and from the left defrost hose at the column brace.
  • Carefully remove the remove the instrument panel carrier from the vehicle.
  • Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure all electrical connectors are properly attached, and all components installed and tightened securely.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I just need to remove the passenger side pad that says corvette on it so i can replace the burn off module which is directly behing that pad.