Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2003 Suburban: the rear blower motor is not working at all..controls

I have a 2003 Suburban and the rear blower motor is not working at all. It was working and it just stopped. I have manual controls front and rear. I checked the motor with an external source and it runs fine. I replaced the resistor assembly. You can hear the relays clicking when I put the controls on low, medium and high with both controls. There is no voltage on the orange wire when on high at the resister pigtail. I get voltage on the brown wires. I am getting no voltage on the battery side of the 30 amp RR HVAC fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Where does the orange wire connect to the positive source? Does it go straight from the fuse to the resistor? I can do without the rear a/c, but I would like for it to work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The orange wire at the relays comes straight from the RR HVAC fuse. If there is no power on this fuse, check for power at the BLOWER fuse and the RADIO fuse. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do have 14 volts on the battery side of the fuse. I also have 14 volts at the blower and radio fuse. I wasn't checking it right before. This time I checked from the fuse to the negative battery post.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Check connector C397 (shown in picture below-10,11) Test the orange wire for power in this location. Let me know what you find.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only have 1 other connector. The orange wire goes to this connector and then up into the roof. I am not getting voltage here.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

A common place for wiring problems to occur is under the fuse panel itself. Remove the brace at the rear corner of the engine compartment to gain access to remove the cover from the fuse panel (clips in place) Raise the fuse panel and inspect the orange wire under the fuse panel coming from the RR HVAC fuse. Rodents like to crawl up under the fuse panel and chew the wiring. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had already done that and everything looks good.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

There is another connector behind the passenger side of the dash. The service manual is unclear as to whether this connector can be accessed from under the dash. It is connector C206 (#9 in picture below)

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I get back with you tomorrow evening? I will see if I can find that connector and check for power there. Roger

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Tomorrow will be fine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found some connectors in the side panel by the glove box. One of the connectors has 6 pins with only 4 wires coming out of it. One of those wires is a big orange wire. I am getting 13.8 volts here. It could be connector 14 or 15 in the schematic. I go to the back and pull the 4 pin connector out of the resistor and plug in my voltmeter and I am getting 2.5 volts. I begin messing with the wires, untaping them and so on and the voltage is fluctuating and then all of a sudden I am getting 13.8 volts. I have the control on high speed and I plug the 4 pin connector back in and the fan comes back on temporarily. I jiggle the connector and the fan goes on and off so I am figuring that this connector has a bad connection. Then the fan won't do anything. I check the voltage and I am only getting 8.2 volts. Any ideas.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The problem is likely a bad connection. The only way to isolate it is follow the wiring back and moving the harness to isolate the area. Once you find the loose connection, it will be obvious. The connector will likely be melted from the heat buildup due to high resistance.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification