GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How do you remove fan clutch on a 05 trailblazer

How do you remove fan clutch on a 05 trailblazer?
Greetings and Welcome to Just answer. To remove the fan clutch, you need to remove the hood latch, the remove the upper support to be able to move the rad and shroud assembly back. THen you remove the wire connector from the drivers side. Next you loosen the fan clutch on the pulley. There is a special tool that you use to hold the fan and turn the nut. Most part stores will rent these. The nut is a normal thread. Spin that off and remove the fan and clutch. Swap the fan to the new clutch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not replacing the fan clutch, i just need to remove it from the water pump to replace the water pump. The whole assembly needs to be disconnected. It is threaded on to the water pump. I just want to take it loose and move it forward to get to the water pump. How do i keep the water pump from moving with the fan clutch. Where do i back it up and is it left or right handed threads?
That is one of the special tools I mentioned. IT has 2 pins that go into holes on the face of the pulley.