BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500: with a 4.8L foot..die

Customer Question

I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 4.8L V8. The truck will start and Idle fine. If I rev the motor and then remove my foot from the gas, the trucks Rpms drop and it will die. I can drive the truck down the road fine. It does not spit or sputter, but when I come to a stop sign or have to make a turn the trucks RPMs fall off and it will die. I can stop it from doing this by keeping my foot on the gas pedal and keep the RPMs at or above 1000 RPMs. What could cause this, and how do I fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, start by cleaning out the vehicles throttle body. If the throttle body is dirty then this will happen. You can remove the air intake tube and spray the throttle body out with throttle body cleaner and wipe it clean.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IF it is a dirty Throttle body, then why would it Idle fine initially and then only act up after I press on the gas. I have read on other posts through out the interweb that has pointed to a few things. One was the MAF sensor, another was the Throttle position sensor and third was a Crankshaft position sensor. I am going to clean the MAF tonight to see if that works. I really do not see how a dirty throttle body can be the issue, but at this point I will try any thing. Please clarify.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
If the vehicle tries to die when you remove your foot from the gas then the throttle plates seems like it is choking the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer given just does not seem to add up. I feel it has to be bigger than just a dirty throttle body.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Does the problem only occur when releasing the gas pedal?