Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

WHERE IS MY CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR LOCATED ON S10

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Below the coil pack. Raise engine to access it from below:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: View of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) location-1996-99 2.2L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine block below the coil pack and is accessible when the vehicle is raised and supported with jackstands-2.2L engines

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is that also on the vortec 4 cylinder?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

yes, it is location on all 2.2L engines that were available in the S10

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i changed it and my truck still dont start
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you only asked me where the crankshaft position sensor was located. I supplied that answer with diagram.

If your truck doesnt start you need to determine what is missing - spark, fuel, compression. have you done that yet? was the check engine light on before it stopped running? did it just stop running while you were driving, or did it just not start one day?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it just stopped when i was driving i hooked up the ob reader and it says crankshaft position sensor and now when u turn the key it cranks but wont turn over to start
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Providing that the crank sensor you installed is not defective out of the box(been known to happen), then there is either a short/open in wiring harness, or the pcm(powertrain control module) has failed, or even a broken timing chain. Because it just stopped while you were driving, it is doubtful that it is a short/open in wiring. You need to do an engine compression test to rule out a broken timing chain. If compression is good, then either the new crank sensor is defective or the pcm is bad.

ckp sensor test:

1. Turn the ignition key OFF .
  2. Unplug the sensor electrical harness and check the terminals for corrosion and damage.
  3. Check the sensor wiring harness wires for continuity and repair as necessary.
  4. Attach the sensor harness making sure it is firmly engaged.
  5. Using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM) set on the DC scale, backprobe the sensor signal terminal (terminal A) with the positive lead of the meter and backprobe the sensor ground terminal (terminal B) with the negative lead of the meter.
  6. Have an assistant crank the engine and observe the meter.
  7. You should have approximately a 5 volt reference signal pulse. If not the sensor may be defective.

Click image to see an enlarged view

pcm can only be tested with a factory level diagnostic scanner

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.