AutoDoc
AutoDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech with Advanced Level (L1) - 20 Years Exp. with multiple makes of vehicle
18658490

1996 chevy: a 5.7 liter engine in it..000 miles..truck wont start

Customer Question

I have a 1996 chevy pickup with a 5.7 liter engine in it. 186,000 miles on the motor. The problem that I have is: the truck won't start. I was driving the truck this afternoon and it just quit. I have not had any problems with it. The truck does not overheat. The truck has good oil pressure. I had my friend help me look at it. I pulled a spark plug and there is spark on the plug when I try to start the truck. Reinstalled the plug. Friend poured a little bit of gas in the throttle body (central SFI) tried to start the truck. Truck would run as long as he trickled gas in the throttle body. I haven't had any problems with the truck running. I put 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the truck this morning, to bring it up to a full tank.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

Check your fuel pressure - it sounds like your fuel pump may have failed which is why it is running when you introduce an external fuel source into the motor - Your motor requires 60-66 p.s.i. of fuel pressure to run - Thanks, Dave.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that when I turn the key on we can hear the fuel pump running in the tank. Why do you think that it is the fuel pump?
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Even though the fuel pump is running, it doesn't mean it is putting out the proper pressure or volume - CSFI takes a lot of fuel pressure to run (60-66 psi) - take a fuel pressure reading from the shraeder port on the fuel line - If it is OK, then we'll go from there - Thanks, Dave.