Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

3500 cube: van..start and keep running then it will start and stay

Customer Question

I have a 2000 chevy 3500 cube van, it started diong this two days ago some times it will start and keep running then it will start and stay on for 1 second only
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

when it does the one second thing...will it start back up?any other problems?does the engine light come on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it will start again run for 1 second, and then again for 1 second, no engine check light

ok

check the fuel pressure when it does this,,these must have no less then 60psi at all times.the fuel pump may be sticking

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
some times it will start and run fine without shutting off

yes...you need to check the fuel pressure when it wont start......these fuel pumps will do this sometimes

thanks'

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check the fuel pressure and get back to you, thanks

ok

let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked the fuel pressure it checks out good, some times it will stay running,some times only for 1 second,fuel pressure remains good 60p

ok

if the fuel pressure is good...tune it up..new plugs,wires.rotor and cap..the cap and rotor can give a fit sometimes on these vortec engines

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the ignition cap rotor wires and plugs have all been replaced the only thing I havent replaced is the ignition coil ,what else

ok

the crank sensor,,,it could cause this problem also

thanks

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

IMPORTANT: The CKP System System Variation Learning Procedure will need to be performed whenever the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is removed or replaced. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the electrical connector.
  2. Remove the sensor hold down bolt.
  3. Remove the sensor from the timing cover. NOTE : When installing or removing a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor make sure the sensor is fully seated and held stationary in the front cover before torquing the hold down bolt into the front cover. A sensor which is not seated may result in erratic operation and lead to the setting of false codes.
  4. Inspect the sensor O-ring for wear, cracks or leakage. Replace if necessary. Lube the new O-ring with clean engine oil before installing.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE : Make certain that the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor mounting surfaces are clean and free of burrs before installing the CKP sensor.

1. Install the sensor into the timing cover.
  2. Install the sensor hold down bolt. Tighten
    • Tighten the hold down bolt to 8 Nm (71 lb. in.) .
  1. Install the electrical connector.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its still doing the same thing
does it have a security light on or flashing in the dash?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.