Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1986 Chevrolet K10: the truck started skipping..backfiring

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Chevrolet K10 Silverado 4x4 with a 305 engine that has been totally restored..the engine is still original as to the best of my knowledge...Last week the truck started skipping terribly and backfiring really bad...I took it to the local dealer who said they thought it blew the power valve in the carb...(holley 650) they rebuilt the carb...changed the plugs..checked the timing....checked the module in the distibuter...and It did'nt fix it at all....they said I need a new carb...I bought one today..installed it and it is exactly the will start...but runs really rough and will go dead when you go down the road when you get up to about 15 mph....this problem started out of the blue and I am scratching my head trying to figure it you have any suggestions.....thanks...Marty
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

make sure you have a good fuel may be clogged...also the ignition coil may be breaking down..this will cause a similar problem

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP