Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2006 HHR has front end rattle/knock in the area of the steering

2006 HHR has front end rattle/knock in the area of the steering column. Goodwrench put in new strut kits and column kit. No change. I have heard this problem may be an axle problem. The noise goes away after driving for a while. Goodwrench couldn't duplicate the noise, but I hear it every morning on the way to work. Any suggestions?
There are several different noise concerns that are common to the HHR. The next most common problem is worn stablizer end links. You can disconnect one end of the links and drive the vehicle to verify this is the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should this lead not pan out, would I be smart in persuing the axlel angle?

No, not likely an axle. The stabilizer link problem is very common. The other common problems are the strut mounts, steering shaft, steering column, or separating lower control arm bushings. The stabilizer links are the most likely problem at this point.