Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

2000 chevy s10: I remove the airbag so I can get the steering wheel

Customer Question

How do I remove the airbag so I can get the steering wheel off of 2000 chevy s10
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 years ago.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.
Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from the straight-ahead position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel
Insert a screwdriver into each access hole and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
Insert a screwdriver into each access holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module
Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward to gain access to the SIR wiring.
Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.
Disconnect the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer.
Disconnect the electrical connector.

DISABLE
Disconnect Positive Battery Cable

Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.

Remove the key from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already did this on the back of the steering wheel where there are two slots with a screw on one side and a square hole on the other how do I get the air bag off the steering wheel... I tried unscrewing the screw but all that did was remove the back cover and did not release the airbag from the steering wheel so I could get the steering wheel off

Thanks for the added info

You pull on the front as you turn the Screw driver to push (unsnap) the the arm in each slot, as it will not just pop off, you have to carefully put pull pressure on the front

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I stuck a screw driver in the back and I did not feel any spring!

There isnt a actual "spring" it is just a finger that locks onto the pin.
It isn't that difficult.
Turn the steering wheel so the slot is on the bottom or top & stick your head under with a flash light & take a look into the slot.
You have to pull on the front of the horn pad over the slot that you are disengaging

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like most things I'm sure it's not difficult if you have done it before! I am sorry but I am very frustrated as I spent an hour with my head in back of the steering wheel with a screw driver in that slot and didn't get anything to move. With a straight screw diver do you push up or down while you pull on the front of the air bag cover?

Push to the side with a slight turn as you pull slightly on the front.
Don't pull hard, as you need to release the arm

Try this
Push down on the front
Turn the screw driver & when you feel some resistance, slightly pull up on front

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow when I get out of work it's way to late do go at it again to night... I hope it works!

It should, as the arm is around a pin & just needs a little persuasion
Sorry you are having difficulty
Let me know if you need further

Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience: Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lurch

Just wanted to let you know that I still have not been able to get the airbag off the steering wheel of my 2000 chevy S10 pickup. After another hour of sticking and turning the screw driver every way possible and pulling on the front of the airbag and pushing on it NOTHING MOVED... I was finally able to get a flashlight up into the square whole on the back and it doesn't look like the diagram you sent and I saw no clip to release. the elongated opening has a screw on one side that I took out and all that did is release the plasic cover on the back of the steering wheel so I put the screw back in which only leaves a little square opening and I can barely get the screw driver in the openning let alone turn it. So are you sure that what you gave me is for a 2000 S10 because the opening on the back does not really look like the one in the diagram. This is really getting frustrating!

Sorry for the problem

It is correct procedure

If this is a "2000 Chevrolet S-10

There is no "clip" to remove, it is a "leg", "arm", etc.|

This has been this way since 1997

Insert the flat blade in the slot
push it between the "pin" & the "leg" & turn a little, while pulling up slightly on the front, above the slot