Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. My dash lights and the radio

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. My dash lights and the radio light goes out when I turn the lights on. I have checked all my fuses and I replaced the headlight switch. I can't seem to figure it out. My odometer and shift indicator stay lit. All of my other lights work. I did not see any obvious nicks in the wires. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Turn the headlights on, then test voltage at the ILLUM fuse in the dash fuse panel. Turn the dash dimmer up and down, the voltage should vary as you turn the dimmer up and down. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no power coming to ILLUM fuse. I checked other fuses to make make sure that power was coming thru. The ILLUM fuse is intact.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
At the dimmer switch (below headlight switch) check for power on the green wire, light blue wire and both orange wires. Make sure the headlights are switched on while testing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have power on both orange wires and on the light blue wire. There is no power to the green wire and the vehicle also does not chime when the door is open with the lights left on.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Turn the dimmer up and down to see if this makes any difference while checking the green wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No change Dave. I am thinking relay, but I am not sure which one. What makes the chime when the lights are on, the car is off and the door is open? I am thinking that may be the problem. The headlight switch is brand new from a GM dealer. I am perplexed. I have to step out for awhile, so we may not be able to finish this today. I am not in a garage, but at my home and I am also not a mechanic, just a guy with basic car knowledge. I was raised on a used car lot.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Was the dimmer switch part of the headlight switch you replaced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
At the headlamp dimmer switch, is there power on the white wire with the headlights turned on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the lights on, there is power in the white wire.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Looks like all inputs and outputs are present, except for the output on the green wire. Jumper the orange wire (either one) over to the green wire. This should cause the lights to illuminate. If they do, the dash dimmer switch is bad. Let me know what you find.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I jumped the orange to the green and the lights lit up. What are the odds of a new part being bad? Go figure. Thanks Dave. Hopefully my buddy at the GM dealer will allow me switch for a working one.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hopefully they will warranty the switch for you. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dave. I think they will also. The parts guy is a friend of mine. However, I think I screwed it up big time. When I was running the jumper, I think I hit another lead by accident and now my security light stays on and my remote does not work and I have no lights at all inside or out except for parking lights. I disconnected the battery last night hoping it would reset. That did not work. If you want to open up another ticket I am cool with that. I checked on some fuses but I did see anything. Maybe I blew a relay this time. Let me know what you want to do.
Joe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dave never mind. I figured it out. It was the TBC fuse. I just have to replace the headlight switch.
Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it.
Joe
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Glad you got it fixed. Sorry for the delayed response, eating some lunch with my son.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dave, I just got back from the dealership. The switch is not the problem. I put the new one in and still have no lights on the instrument cluster or radio when I turn the lights on. I am thinking at this point that it is probably the cluster itself. If that is the case, then I will take it to my dealer and let them figure it out.

Anyway thanks again for the help.

Joe
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
That is odd, the lights should be working with a good switch since they worked with a jumper in place. The power comes in on the orange wire furthest from the green wire. If you still want to mess with it, jumper this orange to the green and see if the lights operate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dave. I had to go get some 10amp mini fuses. I blew the ILLUM fuse earlier. Ok here is where I am...New switch - no dash or radio light with lights on. I jumped the orange to the green wire and the dash lit up. When I moved the dimmer knob up and down, there was no change in the lighting. Is it possible that a relay could go bad and not effect anything else?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Was this the orange wire furthest from the green wire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes Dave, I used the orange wire furthest from the green. It is obvious that there is no power going to the green wire. If I ran a permanent jumper from the orange to the green, would it do any damage?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
It would not damage anything, You just would not be able to dim the dash lighting. Make sure the terminals on te orange and the green wire are not spread where they would not make proper contact.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it, Thanks Dave. Have a great weekend.

Joe
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Thanks for using just answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dave, I ran the jumper but it keeps blowing the ILLUM fuse. I think I have a short in there somewhere. I will start looking for it next week. Oh well, such is life right.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Must be a short in the wiring then. There is a tool called a short finder that can help to locate shorts.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-25100-Short-Tester/dp/B000RFLR0U/ref=sr_1_1/175-4335477-8013511?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1272576322&sr=1-1

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dave.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.