Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2000 Chevy Express 1500 van. Random transmission problem. Wont

2000 Chevy Express 1500 van. Random transmission problem. Won't shift out of 1st gear. When it won't shift the speedometer doesn't work either. Most of the time after you go about 500 ft the speedometer starts working and the tranny shifts and it is fine for the rest of the day. Problem occured after I had a no start condition and the Chevy dealer replaced ECM. I returned to dealership and they have replaced the crank sensor and speed sensor. Of course it was three different visits and they say everything checks out ok. They have been unable to duplicate the problem. ECM is a remanufactured unit. the other parts are new replacement parts. I think they need to swap out the ECM unit but they insist it is ok. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

this is a problem with the speed need to check the wire plug that goes to the sensor and the wiring harness[you may have a wire is possible to get a bad new speed sensor

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Transmission Speed Sensor, A/T
icon_note_blank.gif Notes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had the same problem with old speed sensor and now with the new sensor. (new sensor was original equipment for GM dealer) Since problem occurs intermittently can a pinched wire give a problem like this one. Also is it possible that the sensor is working all of the time and it is the ECM is just not acknowledging the signal? How would I or the dealership test the speed sensor to see if it has an intermittent problem?