Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2002 Cavalier: ignition lock..budge..adjusting..the steering wheel

This morning my 2002 Cavalier ignition lock refused to budge (I couldn't turn it from the locked position in any direction). I kept playing with it (turning the wheels, adjusting the steering wheel, banging on the ignition lock) to no avail.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
has it been acting up for a while..or is this the first time it has done this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Firts time.
can you get the key out of it now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. But I.ve noticed when I push in the ignition (as if trying to turn the key backwards for just the aux power) with the door open and without the key in the lock my warning bell goes off as if the key was left in the ignition.
does the headlights come on bright?is the battery weak/dead?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All electrical is fine. Just replaced battery 1 month ago. I also replaced the front passenger axil and motor mount. Both front wheel berings and the rear window motor.
does the key look good,,with no damage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes both keys look fine. Sorry it took so long to answer, I was stuck on the phone with a customer.

ok

from what you are saying it sounds as if you will need to change the lock cylinder

thanlks

Ignition Lock Cylinder - Without Key

This article has been updated with bulletin, 01-02-35-010

REVISED LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems.
  2. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement-On Vehicle.

1. Drill out the locking button (2) on the rear of the housing assembly (1) using an angle drill.

1. Remove the ignition lock cylinder (1) by pulling outward from the steering column.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the ignition lock cylinder (1).
  3. Remove the metal shavings from the steering column and the ignition lock housing assembly.

Installation Procedure

Important Ensure that all the metal shavings are cleaned from the steering column and ignition housing assembly.

1. Connect the electrical connector (3) to the ignition lock cylinder (1).
  2. Insert the ignition lock cylinder (1) into the housing assembly while rotating the key approximately 5 degrees counter-clockwise.
  3. Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement-On Vehicle.
  4. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems. IMPORTANT: Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, even if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair. All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn. If you replace the ignition lock cylinder, the system will enter the long tamper mode. If the system enters the long tamper mode, ensure that the system completes a long tamper mode cycle. During the long tamper mode cycle, the THEFT indicator will flash for the full 10 minutes. The instrument cluster and the PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete the learn cycle. Ensure that the ignition switch remains in RUN until the indicator stops flashing. If you turn the ignition switch before the indicator stops flashing, ensure that you repeat the long tamper cycle from the beginning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. The lock cylinder was my guess too. I just wanted conformation that I didn't miss anything simple before I removed the lock. I understand the procedure you provided but the attached images do not make any sense to me. Where is the locking button located? Is it easy to locate or is there something I should be looking for to identify it? Thanks again, BILL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just noticed that every time I reload this page I get a different set of attached images. So far I have not come accross any involving the lock cylinder. What gives?

hi

the pictures will just stay on for an hour..please print

thanks

Ignition Lock Cylinder - Without Key

REVISED LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
  2. Remove the steering column trim covers.

Installation Procedure

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I am off to the remote location my kid left the car (why couldn't this happen at home?) I will let you know how it goes.

es..please do..i hope you get it

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem. The lock was a snap to replace but I am having a problem with the long term antitheft reset. I have waited the ten min. for the light to stop flashing and the car would not turn over. When I turn the key to the off position and then turn it back to the on position the atitheft light starts to flash once again. I have repeated this several times to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

ok

i would think you are trying the passlock auto relearn

thanks

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).