John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

Chevy Venture (97) automatic sliding door is not working;

Chevy Venture ('97) automatic sliding door is not working; there is a clicking noise when the button is pushed - but no activity?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

This problem is usually a position fault sensor,but it can be a control module failure in which the module does not read the correct data from the door sensors.

Here is how to enter diagnostic mode to see if module has set a failure.

How to Enter Diagnostic Mode 1

Diagnostic Mode 1 sounds the DTCs through the power sliding door alarm. Enter Diagnostic Mode 1 by performing the following procedure:

Turn off the power sliding door on/off switch.
Close the sliding door manually. Ensure that the PSD is in the latched position.
Press and hold the power sliding door open/close switch in the overhead console.
While holding the power sliding door open/close switch, cycle quickly (on/off) the power sliding door on/off switch until Diagnostic Mode 1 is entered (a minimum of 10 cycles). The power sliding door alarm will sound for 3.2 seconds upon entering Diagnostic Mode 1.
After entering Diagnostic Mode 1, leave the power sliding door on/off switch on.
Release the power sliding door open/close switch.

Upon entering Diagnostic Mode 1, the following actions occur:

The power sliding door alarm sounds for 3.2 seconds.
This indicates that the Diagnostic Mode 1 is active.
The rear side door actuator control module sounds any DTCs stored.
A DTC consists of a 2 digit code.
For example, DTC 12 has the following sequence: buzz, pause, buzz, buzz, long pause. Then repeats the DTC.
The rear side door actuator control module repeats the same DTC 3 times before proceeding to the next DTC.
The rear side actuator control module sounds DTC 12 when no faults are present.
DTCs will continue to sound until there is an exit from diagnostics or going into Diagnostic Mode 2.
Write down all DTCs stored. Otherwise the rear side door actuator control module erases DTCs upon exiting of the diagnostics.

If you want to exit diagnostics after Diagnostic Mode 1 has been completed, refer to How to Exit Diagnostics in this section. If you want to perform Diagnostic Mode 2, do not exit Diagnostic Mode 1. Refer to How to Enter Diagnostic Mode 2 for procedure.

DTC

Description

12

No Diagnostic Trouble Codes Found

System OK

13

Door Position Fault

14

Controller Malfunction

22

Door Motion Error Sensed On Actuation

23

No Latch Input

24

Controller Error (GEN 1 Models Only)

24

Vehicle Speed Signal Circuit Open (GEN 2 Models Only)

32

Vehicle Speed Signal Circuit Shorted to Ground

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ran the diagnostic test and it came out with the DTC 12 sequence - which I believe is "system ok"
Not clear about the diagnostic mode 2 - or other options to determine the problem?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

This means that there is no code ,but sometimes it may not set.You most likely have a bad door module that will not transfer power to the motor.here is some info to help.

Quarter Lower Rear Trim Panel Replacement

Tools Required

Door Trim Pad and Garnish Clip Remover

1. Remove the rear seats.
  2. Remove the back body pillar trim. Remove the body side upper trim panel. .
    Object Number: 313679  Size: SH

3. Remove the cup holder from the rear quarter trim.
  4. Remove the rear accessory panel, for the left side quarter panel. Remove the seat belt retractor retainer bolt. Remove the upper cargo net retainers. Remove the liftgate sill plate.
    Object Number: 313677  Size: SH

5. remove the retainers from the rear quarter trim panel.
  6. Remove the rear quarter trim panel from the vehicle.

Rear Side Door Actuator Control Module Replacement

Remove the right rear quarter lower trim panel. Object Number: 320099  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the Power Sliding Door (PSD) actuator control module (2).
  2. Pull the PSD actuator control module (2) inboard in order to unhook the control module from the actuator motor.

Object Number: 320099  Size: SH

1. Push the PSD actuator control module (2) outboard in order to unhook the control module from the actuator motor.
  2. Install the PSD actuator control module electrical connectors.
  3. Install the right rear quarter lower trim panel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the rear panel off and not sure what I'm trying to do with the connections? The diagrams are not very clear.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Disconnect each connector & check for corrosion & make sure each has a proper fit to it's mating connector.Check for power & ground to the motor.either there is not enough power to the motor to make it run (bad module) or the motor is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The connections seem to be good. I remember there was a recall for the actuator w/ the sliding door several years ago that was done and it looks like some of the parts are relatively new. Maybe the motor is gone?
I've probably taken $15 worth of your time. Thanks for your help and if you have further suggestions for trouble-shooting they would be appreciated.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome.I suspect the motor.Hope you have a good day.
Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician