Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

my venture van brake lights wont work only top middle one...bulbs

Customer Question

my venture van brake lights wont work only top middle one...bulbs good fuses good ground wire good... i dont know????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello Customer,

If the center high mount stop light works and the other ones doesn't, we would need to check a splice where the 3 wires come together. But first, double check to make sure there is not a trailer wiring harness hooked in to it that can cause problems and double check the power on the white wires(with brake pedal applied) and the ground on the black wire at the tail light connector, Also make sure the connector is not melted. If all those are ok, Lets check the splice. The splice is in the body harness behind the left trim panel in the back. You would have to remove the trim panel and find where the wires go to the left tail lamp. follow the wire harness from the left tail lamp to where its ran into the body harness. the splice will be about 4 inches from where the harness is tied into for the left tail lamp. Sorry, I have no pictures of it. It will actually have 4 wires in the splice. one for each brake light and one for the trailer connector.
Let me know if you have trouble with it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok i went out and i hooked up a test light. I unpluged the wiring from the left taillight and i tested each one of the female ends with the van lights on. There was power running to 2 of the ends and when i had some one press the brake a third one one would get power which im assuming is the brake light. I did this on both sides and it worked on both sides. So im pretty sure that i have power all the way up to the panel on both sides of my van. What are the chances of the brake light part going out on both panels at the same time?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Yes I seen a lot of those panels/circuit boards go bad. you want to check the white wire that goes back to that connector, and if it lights a test light, the circuit board is bad. Make sure there is no burnt marks or any plastic on the connector that has been melted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need info on a 1999 olds intrigue . i put a new ingnition in and now it worked for a few days then i hooked up the 3 wires that go circular part of the ingnition . now the security light comes on and i cant start it . how do i by pass pass the security system please reply asap thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You need to program the theft system try This:

This procedure takes approximately 30 minutes. Make sure the battery is fully charged before proceeding.

1. Turn the ignition switch off.
  2. Turn the ignition switch all the way from the off to the start position, then leave it in the on position.
  3. The SECURITY will come on and stay on for at least 10 minutes.
  4. Turn the ignition switch off for five seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a second time.
  6. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a third time.
  7. Turn the ignition switch off.
  8. Turn the ignition switch all the way to the start position. The engine should now start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a 1995 pontiac bonniville and it rolls over but dont start . i checked all the fuses . there good . the fuel pump works . i put new plugs in it . new wires . what do u think it could be
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Did you get the intrigue started?

Do you have spark on the Bonneville?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
No to the intrigue or no to the spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i program a new ignition on my olds intrigue . its a 1999 and it has some kind of a chip on it . ok if i turn it all the way off it will take forever to start but if i just leave it on acc it will start back up . but leaving it on acc will make my battery die if i leave it on and now drive it everyday .