kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2006 Chevy Cobalt: rear brake piston..replacing the brake pads..cars

How do I back off the rear brake piston on a 2006 Chevy Cobalt? I am replacing the brake pads and the new ones being thicker, the piston needs to retract. I have pushed them back with a c-clamp on previous cars. I cannot get this one to move. What am I missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 years ago.

You have to spin the piston back into the caliper. There are two triangle slots in the piston, There is a tool that you put over the piston that has a pin on each side that will fit into the slots in the piston and use a ratchet to spin them back into the caliper. The tool is only about $10.00 at the auto parts store.