Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado V6 engine. Comming home last

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado V6 engine. Comming home last night got the message that engine hot shut off AC. I pulled over and motor was not overheating and seemed fine. I notice the coolant was a little low so put more in and topped it off. Now when i turn on the key it shows that same message even though its cold. I can shut the message off but the cooling fans are running over time trying to cool the engine off. I just went and replaced the sending unit and still the temp gauge doesnt move or come up to operating temp? Not sure what the heck?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

ENGINE HOT A/C (Air Conditioning)

TURNED OFF

This message displays when the engine coolant

becomes hotter than the normal operating temperature.

See Engine Coolant Temperature Gage on page 3-48.

To avoid added strain on a hot engine, the air

conditioning compressor automatically turns off.

When the coolant temperature returns to normal,

the air conditioning compressor turns back on.

You can continue to drive your vehicle.

If this message continues to appear, have the system

repaired by your dealer/retailer as soon as possible

to avoid damage to the engine.

ENGINE OVERHEATED IDLE ENGINE

Notice: If you drive your vehicle while the engine is

overheating, severe engine damage may occur.

If an overheat warning appears on the instrument

panel cluster and/or DIC, stop the vehicle as soon as

possible. See Engine Overheating on page 5-32

for more information.

temperature is too hot. Stop and allow the vehicle to

idle until it cools down. See Engine Coolant

Temperature Gage on page 3-48.

See Overheated Engine Protection Operating Mode

(V8 Engines Only) on page 5-34 for information

on driving to a safe place in an emergency.

ENGINE OVERHEATED STOP ENGINE

Notice: If you drive your vehicle while the engine

is overheating, severe engine damage may occur.

for more information.

For a copy of your owners manual, I uploaded it here, http://rapidshare.com/files/377037609/2008_chevrolet_silverado_owners.pdf.html

page 3-48

Engine Coolant Temperature Gage

This gage shows the engine coolant temperature.

It also provides an indicator of how hard your vehicle is

working. During a majority of the operation, the gage will

read 210°F (100°C) or less. If you are pulling a load or

going up hills, it is normal for the temperature to fluctuate

and go over the 235°F (113°C) mark. However, if the

gage reaches the 260°F (125°C) mark, it indicates that

the cooling system is working beyond its capacity.

See Engine Overheating on page 5-32.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to check the Chilton manual and tsb's to see if there is any more info on this. I will need the sub model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2.8 V6 reg cab 1/2 ton
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure it is a 2.8L? Why dont you give me your vin, you can forget the last 6 digits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No sorry its the 4.3 but here is the vin

1GCEK14X58Z128092

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Didn't find any more info on engine hot shut off AC. Is the engine actually overheating? Did you try clearing the code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can clear the code through the button to reset the trip meter but no its not overheating at all the thermostat is opening and everything seems fine. As soon as I turn the key on after shuttin it off it displays "hot engine AC turned off". It was low on coolant but I filled it up and like i said replaced the sending unit for the temp gauge. As I turn the switch on you can see the temp gauge move a little but at operating temp its still stuck on low temp and doesnt move. It thinks its overheating so the cooling fans kick on but not sure what else it could be?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Is the AC compressor ever coming back on? If you are not sure if it is overheating or not you may want to stick a kitchen thermometer right in the radiator cap hole and check the temperature there when the engine heats up. Let me know at what temp the cooling fans click on and also the max temp it gets to and does it match what the gauge inside the car says.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last night after driving over 40 miles the gauge was at the lowest point. First thing this morning i started it and the warning was on as soon as you turn the key on. It normally runs around 180 but the gauge wont move at all to the normal setting. i can sqeeze the upper hose and its not overheating or stuck thermostat.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
If you can squeeze the upper radiator hose with the engine hot and cap on then there is air in the system. That may be why there is a problem with the gauge. Air may be at the sending unit and not coolant. Air is cooler than hot coolant. Remove the radiator cap, jack up under the frame under the cap side untill the cap hole is above the level of the entire cooling system, then start the car let it warm up and open the thermostat watching the level of coolant. Keep it close to full. Then when hot shut off and then go over and grab the top radiator hose with both hands and push down as far as you can get the hose and squeeze real hard a few times and push any air out the cap hole. Refill, place cap back on lower car and check gauge again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tryed that and still on. I decided to dis connect the possitive cable and try and re-set the code. Once I did that, the gauge started working properly and works perfect now. I think the sending unit was bad but the computer still was holding the hot code until I reset it. Like I said working like a champ now.

Thanks for your time and help!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, good to hear.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician