Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1995 chevy silverado 1500: 5.7 liter..4x4..extended cab..little rough

Dear Sir,

I have a 1995 chevy silverado 1500, 5.7 liter 4x4 extended cab pickup truck. It was running perfect. I started it up and noticed it was ideling a little rough. I went on and after about 5 miles it stalled out. I went to restart it and noticed the smell of fuel. It would not fire so I held to accelerater down slightly and then it fired right up and was ideling perfect. I went about another 5 miles and it stalled out again. The only way it will start now is to slightly hold the accelerater down while cranking and it will fire right up, with rough ideling. I also noticed that when I turn the key you can hear the fuel pump pumping but will not shut off ( after several seconds) like it used to. It just keeps pumping. Looking down in the throttle body you can see the fuel spraying and dripping out. It seems like way to much fuel is spraying out of the jets. Is this faulty fuel injectors or a faulty fuel pump, pumping too much fuel? Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

does it squirt fuel into the throttle body without the engine running?does the engine light stay on?if so,please give me the computer codes

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not squirt fuel without the engine running and the check engine light does not stay on. The fuel pump is is 2 years old. To get it to start I have to depress the accelerater ( like it is flooded) while cranking. It will idle sometimes real smooth and other times real rough.When i give it more fuel while running it will stall out and only restart if I hold the acclerater partialy down.

ok

does it do this when the engine is cold also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When the engine is cold I started it just by turning the key.

ok

the problem may be the ect[engine coolant tempeture]sensor

the computer may think the engine is cold even after it warms..the ect is located on the front of the intake manifold and cost bout $20 at your local parts store

thanks

Description and Operation

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

DESCRIPTION
The engine coolant temperature sensor is a thermistor (a resistor which changes value based on temperature) mounted in the engine coolant passage. Low coolant temperature produces a high resistance 100,000 ohms at -40°C (-40°F) while high temperature causes low resistance 70 ohms at 130°C (266°F).

OPERATION
The VCM supplies a 5 volt signal to the engine coolant temperature sensor through a resistor in the VCM and measures the voltage. The voltage will be high when the engine is cold. The voltage will be low when the engine is hot. By measuring the voltage, the VCM calculates the engine coolant temperature. Engine coolant temperature affects most systems the VCM controls.

The scan tool displays engine coolant temperature in degrees. After engine start-up, the temperature should rise steadily to about 9O°C (194°F) then stabilize when thermostat opens. If the engine has not been run for several hours (overnight), the engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature displays should be close to each other. When the VCM detects a malfunction in the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit, the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) s will set:

• DTC P0117 circuit low.
  • DTC P0118 circuit high.
  • DTC P0125 excessive time to Closed Loop.
  • DTC P1114 circuit intermittent low.
  • DTC P1115 circuit intermittent high.

The above DTCs contain a table to check for sensor resistance values relative to temperature.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is ideling real rough now and white smoke is coming from the exaust. Is it possible it is a clogged fuel filter, other than the engine coolant temp senser? I still have to hold the accelerater down while cranking in order to start.

i would doubt the fuel filter..change the ect...but,,sense you have white smoke,it could be the catalyst converter ,it may be clogged,you will need to let a muffler shop test this

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible that it is a clooged fuel filter insted of the engine coolant temp sensor ? It is ideling real rough (barley ideling) and sending white smoke out my exaust. When I give it fuel it stalls and will only restart to a rough idle by depressing the accelerater partially down.

well

it is possible for it to be the filter clogged and starving t for fuel..but get the things we have talked about checked

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After letting the engine cool down ( several hours) I tried to restart by just turning the key. It wouldn't start without depressing the accelerater partially down. Is it still the engine coolant temp sensor?

i think it may be the ect...but the white smoke makes me also think it could be the catalyst converter

thanks