Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

2004 Tahoe: removing..center console..he rear audio controls

Customer Question

what steps are required to removing the center console on a 2004 Tahoe with he rear audio controls.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
You just want to remove the rear a/c and radio control panel in the back of the console correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I actually want to remove the whole console so I can gain easy access to the rear seats. It appears that the back is held in by the same bolts that hold the seats in place, and there would appear to be a screw on each side at the front under the dash behind a plastic cap. My question is is there any hidden bolts under the console that need to accessed and if there are how do you get to them. I also assume there is a wiring harness that needs to be unplugged from the rear audio controls.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
So you are just looking to get the back seats out correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but that is another story and I know how to do that. I have removed the rear seat on the passenger's side. All I need to know is what is required to remove the center console that runs between the front seats. It includes the center glove box, cup holder, cubby at the front and the rear audio controls at the back. I need to know if there are any hidden bolts under the console that need to be removed and if so how do you get to them. I have read somewhere that you need to remove the cupholder to access a couple of bolts. Is that true?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK let me see what I can post .
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
graphic

This is the center console you have correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No that is from an older model. My CD player is built into the radio which is located above the console I am trying to remove.

I don't think this going anywhere. It's a good idea in principle, but it doesn't seem to be working for me in this instance. I don't know what additional information I can give you short of sending you the car.

My local Chevy dealer says they can remove it for a couple hundred bucks. I think I will just have them do it.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No let me find the correct information for you hang in there its not worth a few hundred bucks when you can do it yourself.I will post asap.