Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

why do i have 100 psi oil pressure on my small block chevy

so after you rebuilt it and now its running you have 100PSI at idle?or when reving it up?are you using a good known mechanical oil pressure gage?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was 60 psi at idle incressing to 100 by 3500 rpm with good movement at rpm incress
is the mechanical oil gage good that you know?what oil weight are you running?is it a new oil pump?high volume?high performance engine build you did?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
put in a secound gauge to make sure of reading and installed a braded line from jegs, new pump (by my builder) ask for high volume. engine is 60 over with desent cam hdy lifters rpm range 1800 to 5200 power range. just added 350 psi oil filter for safety runs good strong 8.22 in 1/8 @ 98 mph
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
put in a secound gauge to make sure of reading and installed a braded line from jegs, new pump (by my builder) ask for high volume. engine is 60 over with desent cam hdy lifters rpm range 1800 to 5200 power range. just added 350 psi oil filter for safety runs good strong 8.22 in 1/8 @ 98 mph 30 weight castro oil 7 qt pan
did you ask the engine builder what the oil PSI should be for the engine he built for you?i would ask what the engine oil PSI should be for what he built you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the builder after 40 years went out of business, unable to contact him, dont even know compression or cam spects, should i worrie about to muh oil pressure/4 bolt stell crank 010 block 202 double hump heads

well im just wondering if thats what the engine builder wanted for oil PSI.my 69 vette runs @ 80 cold and @60 hot.i don't have a high volume pump in it.stock for your engine with a stock pump is 65 PSI at 2000

so with the high volume to be honest i wouldn't worry at all.the engine has a built in pressure relief valve in case the pressure ever got too much.if it peaks at 100 PSI hot i wouldn't worry if you want it down a little more you can play with some synthetics but if it was my engine i would be smiling with 100 PSI

high performance oil pumps they say delivers 25% more PSI than stock.so if stock was 65 and its at 100 PSI those numbers add up to be the correct PSI