cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech

2005 chevy: rear brakes..front brakes..the caliper piston pushed in

Customer Question

I am changing the rear brakes on a 2005 chevy uplander.I have already changed the front brakes with no problems but am having problems with the back brakes. How do you get the caliper piston pushed in? They will not squeeze in with a c-clamp
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 6 years ago.

this requires a special tool to thread the caliper in

Object Number: 105774  Size: SH

• Retract the brake caliper piston (2) into the brake caliper bore. Use a suitable spanner type wrench and turn the piston clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the brake caliper (Mac® Tools DBC 25 C 2500 MA Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set, or equivalent).
  • Align the indents on the piston face to match the pin on the back of the inboard brake pads.
  • Install the brake pad retainers into the brake caliper bracket.
  • Install the inboard and outboard brake pads into the brake caliper bracket insuring that the pad with the metallic wear sensor is placed on the inboard side of the bracket.
  • Slide the caliper onto the bracket insuring that the bracket guide boots are not damaged.