Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1993 chevy: transmission fluid..pickup..wont shift..first gear

Customer Question

I changed my transmission fluid in my 1993 chevy s10(4.3) pickup and now it won't shift out of first gear. What could be the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
so it was shifting fine before the pan was removed and then put back on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. working fine before. But now when the transmission warms up it will not shift out of first gear

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok if the fluid is clean and full what happened more than likely is when putting the pan back in one of the shift solenoids got damaged or the wires got pinched between the pan gasket to case when tightened.but 99% of the time one of the shift solenoids got damaged when you slid the pan back in.here is a picture of them.you are going to have to remove the pan and filter and inspect the shift solenoids.im sure you will find one broken from when the pan was slid back in(very tight fit when jamming the pan back in)graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the wires do not hang out far enough to pinch the wires when repaceing pan back in place

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
sometimes they get pinched.but more than likely when shoving the pan back in you are going to find one or both of the switches rear of the trans where hit when sliding the pan back in and one or both will be broken.im just telling you to check the wiring.ive just had it happen to me before.so those are the 2 things that more than likely happened.remove the pan and find out what got broken
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have already checked that and nothing was broken

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
if it was shifting fine before and since the pan was removed and put back on it will NOT shift then something was hit on the valve body or wires got pinched.those shift solenoids might not be broken off but cracked from being hit.it HAS to be wires or one of those 2 shift solenoids
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so what di i need to do now?

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
with the pan off using the picture i gave you ONE or BOTH of # XXXXX is cracked or broken if no wires where pinched.and of course make sure they are plugged in.but im very sure one or both of those solenoids got damaged.find the one that is and replace it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How expensive is this repair? how much does it cost for those solenoids?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
those are @ 20 bux each..not that expensive at all..but i have broken them in the past doing the same thing.the pan is a real tight fit and when you don't remove the rear trans mount nut and jack up the trans so the pan will slide back in without contact.you slam the pan back in from the front sliding it backwards to put it it the rear lip of the pan hits those and will crack them
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i need more info and step by step instructions for doing this

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
with the pan off and the filter.looking up at those 2 rear solenoids there is a simple clip that holds them to the valve body.unplug the electrical connector and then with a pick or small needle nose pliers slide clip down and out and pop out solenoid.see the little clips # XXXXX simple to change them.the clip fits in a groove to hold the solenoids into the valve bodygraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when i changed the fluid and filter on the transmission. i never droped the pan completly could this have something to do with my problem?

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
yes one of those switches is broken or cracked
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need the Do It Yourself. Step by Step instructions on fixing this problem from start to finish. Thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
remove the trans pan and look at the pictures i gave you and my descriptions on how to remove and replace the broken solenoids
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'M NOT SO SURE THIS IS MY PROBLEM. I WILL SEEK FURTHER INFO ON THIS MATTER.

THANK YOU,

TRINA

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know how you make out