Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2006 Impala: wont start..loud click, but it wont turn over

I have a 2006 Impala 3900 V6 and it won't start. It has plenty of battery, but when you turn the key all you get is a loud click, but it won't turn over.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must
have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with
enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if
its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get
it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the
actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or u can take a
voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery
has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs
to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only
at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as
the negative side. If all checks out, make sure u have battery voltage on both
terminals of the starter when cranking.

If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

fuses I have not checked, but it can't be because the starter is making a loud click,when you turn the key. which makes me think theres juice to the starter. it's probably the starter then. the car has 100000 miles on it. its been serviced regulary though.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
As long as the motor is not locked up...engine block has a good ground and the starter is in fact getting 2 volts and the starter motor is still not working, the starter motor is bad and will need to be replaced.