Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

Trailblazer: shift..park..shifter will not depress to allow it to move

03 trailblazer starts/runs but will not shift out of park with brake applied. feels like problem is in shifter because button on shifter will not depress to allow it to move. Is there a part in shifter that is prone to failing. also any pictures diagrams could be helpful.
thanks larry
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok when stepping on the brakes do you have brake lights?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok so there is no click when stepping on the bakes to release the shifter correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not hear a click. I assume this would be from switch on brake pedal.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
On the left side of the vehicle and under the hood there is a fuse box, you need to check the BTSI fuse and the Backup fuse, if these are not bad the problem is in the shift inter lock system.Let me know if the fuse is ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fuses are good
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Alot of times the ignition switch is bad .I would test this next.

1. Test for 12 volts on the BACK UP and BTSI fuses in run and start. They are in the under hood fuse block.

2. Test for 12 volts on the IGN0 fuse in accessory, run, and start. It is in the rear fuse block.

3. If the voltage is low, test the ignition switch input on the Red wire and the Red and White wire.

4. Test the ignition switch output on the Pink wire and the White wire.

5. If the inputs are good but the output is low, the ignition switch is defective.

Or this can be the issue.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation
Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System
The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:

• The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid
  • The automatic transmission shift lock control switch

With the ignition in the ON position, voltage is supplied to automatic transmission shift lock control switch. Voltage flows through the normally closed contacts of the automatic transmission shift lock control switch to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid. The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded. This energizes the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid causing the transmission shift lever to be physically locked in the PARK position. When the brake pedal is pressed the contacts in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch open, de-energizing the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid. This allows the shift lever to be move out of the PARK position.

Park Lock Solenoid
The park lock solenoid is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the key is in the OFF position. The key must be in the RUN position to release the park lock solenoid.

The system consists of the park lock solenoid.

With the ignition in the ON position, voltage is supplied to the park lock solenoid. The park lock solenoid energizes through a permanent ground unlocking the shift lever. With the ignition in the OFF or ACCY position the park lock solenoid de-energizes and locks the shift lever in the park position.

Here is a picture of the Shift Lock Acutator Solenoid Location. It mounts to the Shifter.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Component Views
Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Actuator

graphic

These Solenoid Actuators can and do go bad. They also may be heat and cold sensitive. If the actuator fails intermittantly, you will not be able to get out of park.

The park lock solenoid works in a similar fashion and the key must be on in order to remove the shifter from the park position while the engine is not running.

GM now offers the Actuator as an individual part now. Had to buy the entire shifter not long ago. Also check the small wired going to the actuator. They can actually break within the insulation and that can be a little tough to find

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Qualified to repair all makes and models.