Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1989 k1500 4wd 5.7L 350..trouble code..egr valve..o2 sensor

1989 k1500 4WD 5.7L 350 is flashing trouble code 45. I have put in a brand new EGR valve. A new O2 sensor. The Haynes manual says it is charcoal canister (Evap canister).

I have removed the tubing from the evap canister and do not see/smell any traces of fuel.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
-Marc Noel
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this code means the engine is running rich,,maybe the fuel pressure is hi or you may have a bad ect sensor[engine coolant tempeture]this is located on the front top of the intake manifold..also,if it hasn't had a tune up in a while,this will make this code show,because it isn't burning the fuel correctly

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Oxygen Sensor Circuit Code 45

[ Close Window ]

Oxygen Sensor Circuit

Circuit Description:
The ECM supplies a voltage of about .45 volt between terminals "D6" and "D7". (If measured with a 10 megohm digital voltmeter, this may read as low as .32 volt.) The Oxygen (02) sensor varies the voltage within a range of about 1 volt if the exhaust is rich, down through about .10 volt if exhaust is lean.

The sensor is like an open circuit and produces no voltage when it is below about 315°C (600°F). An open sensor circuit or cold sensor causes "Open Loop" operation.

Test Description:
Number(s) below refer to circled number(s) on the diagnostic chart.

1. Code 45 is set when the Oxygen (02) sensor signal voltage or CKT 412:
    • Remains above .7 volt for 60 seconds, and in "Closed Loop."
    • Engine time after start is 1 minute or more.
    • Throttle angle greater than 5% (about .2 volt above idle voltage).

Diagnostic Aids:
Using the "Scan," observe the block learn values at different rpm and air flow conditions to determine when the Code 45 may have been set. If the conditions for Code 45 exist, the block learn values will be around 115. Code 45 will be a hard code on 4.3L CPI engine. The "SES" light will remain "ON" until the ignition is turned "OFF," due to possible high fuel pressure.

An oxygen supply inside the 02 sensor is necessary for proper 02 sensor operation. This supply of oxygen is supplied through the 02 sensor wires. All 02 sensor wires and connections should be inspected for breaks or contamination that could prevent reference oxygen from reaching the 02 sensor.

• Fuel Pressure - System will go rich if pressure is too high. The ECM can compensate for some increase. However, if it gets too high, a Code 45 may be set.
  • Check for fuel contaminated oil.
  • HEI Shielding - An open ground CKT 453 (ignition system reference low) may result in EMI, or induced electrical "noise." The ECM looks at this "noise" as reference pulses. The additional pulses result in a higher than actual engine speed signal. The ECM then delivers too much fuel, causing system to go rich. Engine tachometer will also show higher than actual engine speed which can help in diagnosing this problem.
  • Canister Purge - Check for fuel saturation. If full of fuel, check canister control and hoses. Refer to "Evaporative Emission Control".
  • MAP Sensor - An output that causes the ECM to sensor a higher than normal manifold pressure (low vacuum) can cause the system to go rich Disconnecting the MAP sensor will allow the ECM to set a fixed value for the MAP sensor. Substitute a different MAP sensor if the rich condition is gone while the sensor is disconnected.
  • Pressure Regulator - Check for leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm by checking for presence of liquid fuel.
  • TPS - An intermittent TPS output will cause the system to go rich, due to a false indication of the engine accelerating.
  • CTS - Check for a shifted sensor that could cause a rich exhaust but set Code 15.

Edited by tims auto repair on 4/5/2010 at 6:26 PM EST
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I do not have the original air cleaner with the heater on it. I have an Edelbrok air cleaner without the snorkel heater. So... Should I also disconnect the MAP sensor ?