Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

I have a 2002 chevy s10 with a 4.3 L V6 that will not start.

I have a 2002 chevy s10 with a 4.3 L V6 that will not start. It acts like its out of time. It turns over, has spark and fuel, but it only coughs back through the carb. I replaced the crank sensor. Can you tell me what the problem is?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Have you tested the fuel pressure? If the fuel pressure is low, you will still get fuel but the vehicle will not start. Do not over look this, it's a very common problem.
Try starting the vehicle while spraying carb cleaner in the throttle body. See if it likes the external fuel. If so, replace the fuel pump.
The fuel pump/ lack of fuel is known for making the vehicle backfire through the intake.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tried starting the vehicle while spraying carb cleaner in the throttle body, but the same thing happened. What else can I try?
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX checked for spark on all cylinders? Does spark jump 1/2" and is blue in color?
Try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor located on the air filter hose box and check for the vehicle to start.
Is there a check eninge light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has good spark on all cylinders, disconnected the air flow sensor - no start, check engine light is on.
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the vehicle didn't like the extra fuel and there is spark, I am thinking the spark is erratic. If possible scan the vehicle's codes using a scanner. If not available, Replace the plugs, distributor cap and rotor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there no way to manually time it? How is the timing configuration set on the vehicle? Could there be any other sensors to check? I do not have a scanner to check the code.
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Well, the sensors that will cause a check engine light, Cam, Crank, Mass air flow, Coolant temp. If the cam or crank were bad you wouldn't have spark.
You can test the coolant temperature sensor resistance.graphic

And compare to the chart. If the coolant temp sensor the vehicle might be running too right. It really doesn't cause a no-start too often.graphic