BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Tahoe: a terrible methane or natural gas smell

My Tahoe is emitting a terrible methane or natural gas smell. What could be causing this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Hello Isantin, does the vehicle do this when it gets hot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The vehicle has been in the drive way undriven now for about 3 days and I can still walk by and smell the "natural gas" type smell. It does get worse when you hit the gas (say from a stop sign or stop light) but any time the vehicle is running, the smell becomes overwhelming. If you open the window, it doesn't seem to get any better.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Okay. It sounds like you may have a bad catalytic converter. If there is nothing melting to the exhaust then this is the most likely cause.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure why you would draw this conclusion. I did a lot of research and most everything I found says that the battery is the cause, but that too looks good. I just would like to know the reasoning before accepting. We can change the Cat ourselves but before we do, would like to know why- it is not that old. Thanks
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
If the cat gets hot enough and melts internally then this would happen. If the battery or cables were the problem then you would lack battery power.