Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

97 Chevy: My Truck was having trouble starting...Terminals

I have a 97 Chevy Silverado 5.7. My Truck was having trouble starting. So I checked the Terminals on the battery and they were coroded. I cleaned them up and put it back together and now it will not even turn over. So i replaced the starter and the starter just clicks. I tested it and works fine out of the truck. So I turned the Fly Wheel just a little and heard a click. So I thought i had it but then again it just clicks. What did i do wrong. I also ran it from a battery off my other car and it works out of the truck but not in it. Thanks
Is it just a singe click?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. but it kinda turned over once. but yes single click mostly,
The problem you are experiencing is that the starter is not receiving enough power on the main battery cable. The corrosion on the terminals can work its way into the battery cable and create high resistance. You should first check the connections at the positive cable end. There are two cables with a lead spacer between the terminals. Remove the lead spacer from the terminal end and check for corrosion under the spacer. Reassemble the connection to the battery, tighten the bolt and check to see if the cables are still loose. If you can move the cables by hand after the bolt is tightened you should replace the spacer. If everything is clean and tight and the starter will still not engage, replace the positive cable.