Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.

rear brakes 1998 cavalier brake shoes are stuck in worn drum,

rear brakes 1998 cavalier brake shoes are stuck in worn drum, how do you get the drum off?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
I understand your frustration. make sure your emergency brake off. then you will want to use a couple of screwdrivers to hold adjust lever through inpection hole and then use the other to loosen the sproket that tightens shoes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi Jettadan1, I am familiar with inspection hole but this set up does not seem to have one, there is no room for it, I will look again to be sure, be right back
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
they might have metal thin slips that you can remove
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
there is no see hole to back off a star, I have already bled the brake, still no help
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.

Check the park brake system for its ability to generate sufficient cable tension:

1. Check the drum brake clearance and reset if required. Refer to Drum Brake Adjustment.
  2. Fully apply and release the park brake lever 4 times.
  3. Apply the lever to the 3-click position.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting and Jacking.
  5. Check the park brake cable tension by attempting to turn the right rear wheel with both hands. The wheel should only rotate backward, not forward.
  6. If the wheel does rotate forward, readjust the rear shoe to the drum clearance until you hear a gentle shoe-to-drum contact.
  7. Release the park brake and check for rear brake drag. Rear wheels should turn freely (you may hear a gentle shoe-to-drum contact).

The wire strand of the parking brake cables is coated with a plastic material which slides against nylon seals inside the conduit end fittings. This plastic coating is for corrosion protection and reduced parking brake effort.

IMPORTANT: Plastic coated parking brake cables do not need periodic lubrication.

Handling of these cables during servicing of the parking brake system requires a little extra care. Damage to the plastic coating will reduce corrosion protection. If the damaged area passes through the seal, increased parking brake effort could result. Do NOT allow the coating to come into contact with sharp-edged tools or with sharp surfaces of the vehicle underbody.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the pdf will be helpful to reassemble the brakes, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really is no visible see hole to adjust the brakes down, I had a situation like this once before where I had to cut a hole out of the front of the drum just to be able to back off the brakes, I was trying to avoid that, looks like I have no choice, thanks anyway, I will accept your answer on your next reply, thanks again
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.

this is the cable assembly. I wouldnt mess with the drum.