Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

instructions to change fuel pump on 1998 chevy blazer 4.3

instructions to change fuel pump on 1998 chevy blazer 4.3 v6
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
You need to drop the fuel tank to change the pump..
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Relieve the fuel system pressure. (You can also remove the cap and wait a couple hours before replacing the pump) Refer to Fuel Pressure Release Procedure .TOOLS REQUIRED

* J 34730 Fuel Pressure Gauge

WARNING: Relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal Injury. After relieving the system pressure, a small amount of fuel may be released when servicing the fuel lines or connections. In order to reduce the chance of personal Injury, cover the regulator and the fuel line fittings with a shop towel before disconnecting. This will catch any fuel that may leak out. Place the towel In an approved container when the disconnection Is complete .
Loosen the fuel filler cap in order to relieve the tank vapor pressure.
Connect the gauge J 34730-1A or the equivalent to the fuel pressure connection.
Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gauge in order to avoid spillage.
Install the bleed hose into an approved container and open valve in order to bleed the system pressure. The fuel connections are now safe for servicing.
Drain any fuel remaining in gauge into an approved container. Use a hand operated pump device in order to remove the fuel through the filler neck. NOTE : If pump is equipped, make sure to hook up the static ground wire to a metal part of gas tank before you begin.

4. Remove the fuel tank and sender assembly. Notes

Description

Description

Description

Caution: Gasoline or gasoline vapors are highly flammable. A fire could occur if an ignition source is present. Never drain or store gasoline or diesel fuel in an open container, due to the possibility of fire or explosion. Have a dry chemical (Class B) fire extinguisher nearby .

Draining Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Use a hand operated pump device in order to remove the fuel through the filler neck. NOTE : If pump is equipped, make sure to hook up the static ground wire to a metal part of gas tank before you begin.

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Loosen the filler neck hose clamp at the fuel tank.
  3. Disconnect the fuel tank filler neck from the fuel tank.
  4. Support the fuel tank.
  5. Remove the fuel tank shield.
  6. Remove the tank straps.

Notice: Care must be used to ensure that the connections to both roll over valves are disconnected prior to lowering the fuel tank more than 51 mm (2 in). Roll over valves are located at both the front and rear of the fuel tank.

Notice: Extreme care must be used when lowering the fuel tank. The fuel sender is made of plastic and may be damaged when lowering the fuel tank.

1. Lower the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender.
  3. Remove the fuel sender and seal ring, using the tool J36608.
  4. Discard the old seal ring.
  5. Purge tank, if being repaired.

Installation Procedure

1. Install a new seal ring.

Notice: Do not fold or twist the strainer when installing the sending unit. This action restricts fuel flow.

1. Reinstall sender using tool J36608.
  2. Raise tank slightly.
  3. Reconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender.
    • Ensure the ground strap is also reinstalled to the body.
  1. Raise the tank fully.
  2. Reinstall the fuel tank filler neck to the tank.
  3. Tighten the clamp.

Notice: The strap nuts must be tightened by steps, alternating between the four nuts until the specified torque is reached. Otherwise, the bottom of the tank will flex upward and the fuel gage will indicate fuel remaining in the tank when the tank runs dry.

1. Install the fuel tank brackets with insulator strips in place.
    • Tighten the strap nuts to 45 Nm (33 lb. ft) .
  1. Install the fuel tank shield
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Replenish fuel.
  4. Reinstall fuel tank filler cap.
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
    • If a memory retention device was not used, please reset (to the extent possible) all devices that lost their memory after the battery was disconnected.
  1. Check for leaks.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install a new seal, sending assembly and lock ring. Make sure the lock ring alignment holes fit over the tabs on the tank.
2. Install the cam lock assembly. Turn the cam lock clockwise to lock it.
3. Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Assembly .
4. Add fuel removed from the tank.
5. Connect the negative battery cable.
6. Check for fuel leaks.

6.1. Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds.
6.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
6.3. Again, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
6.4. Check for fuel leaks.

Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i cannot view the pictures! Can you send in a different format??
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Sure, no problem. graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one more thing if you dont mind!!

Is there a good test to verify its the fuel pump??

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
I can help with that as well, what kind of problem are you having?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The vehicle is with my son at college. According to him it just died going down the street!

He pulled over and tried to start the truck. The engine turns over ...no problem with that but it wont start! I figured no fire or fuel!!

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
college how fun. Well, if you can have your son try starting the vehicle using extra fuel and seeing if the vehicle will start will pretty much verify.
Tell him to remove the hose that goes to the air filter box, get some carb cleaner or wd40. While cranking the engine spray some exrta fuel in the throttle and see if the engine starts. If it will, it might stall after you stop spraying fuel, but this would be a good indication of a bad fuel pump.
To be honest, I don't usually see fuel pumps going out and the vehicle stalling. I usually see fuel pumps going bad noticably when you can't start the vehicle.
Stalling is usually a result of a loss of spark.
So, ask your son, when this happened did the check engine light turn on? Or has it been on?
Get back to me
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yeah....he is living the American Dream in Stillwater Oklahoma attending Oklahoma State!!

I have asked him your questions about the check engine light!! According to him, prior to the engine shutting down there was not a check light on. Only after!

I have asked to check all fuses in the fuse box located under the hood!

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Oh, I am in Austin another Big 12 city.
Did he try starting it on some external fuel? Tell him also to pull a spark plug wire off a spark plug. Using the engine as a ground check for spark to jump to ground while cranking. See if there is spark. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not yet on the fuel question....he has class this morning! riding his bicycle.!

I will have him do the test later today!

The mens March Madness sucked this year!! But the weman are doing Ok we still have Baylor and OU!!

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
I am already thinking about football season. After last season im heart broken.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah that game sucked......Im an OU fan but I have always liked the Longhorns!! How did Colt do yesterday?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
He did "perfect" (quoting the news) guess that "pinched nerve" isn't bothering him any more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok......here is the update!

after class he confirmed there was fire to the plugs. and while he was checking for fire teh engien started.

He drove it home and let it set and now it want start again. It ran fine when it ran....what could it be!

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
So now that it won't start again, is it getting spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes.....he tried about an hour after getting home and it started and ran for a bout 20seconds!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We're not getting any fire to the plugs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

This is what we know!

We changed teh fuel filter hoping that would help....but did not.

We checked for fire to the plugs and there is not any.

We then checked teh distributor to confirm the rotor was turning it is all good and the rotor looked clean and no carbon build up.

There is no spark coming from the coil to the distributor.........How can i check the coil....and would it not trigger a check engine light if it were bad??

What else and other signals feed teh coil to ignite?

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
If the coil was bad, you would probably get a misfire code(s) . If there isn't any codes, you could have a bad distributor or crankshaft position sensor. Now the crankshaft sensor has more in common with this problem than a bad distributor. I would advise replacing the crank sensor first. It's easy and cheap. Now some other possibilites of this would be an ignition switch, coil, distributor and crank sensor.(And computer always a possibiliy) Will you ask your son if he is getting power to the coil? If there is no power to the coil the ignition switch might be bad.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im headed to Stillwater now to help!! I will contact with findings!

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Isn't it rainy in Oklahoma?

Edited by Tim West on 4/2/2010 at 4:45 PM EST