BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2004 monte carlo ss occasionally wont start, dash lights work,

2004 monte carlo ss occasionally won't start, dash lights work, but nothing. I wait 10 - 15 minutes and it starts! Sometimes security light comes on. I have a brand new battery and brand new key. Have read that this has something to do with "passlock" security system. Can you tell me what needs to be replaced or reset? Any help would be great!
Hello JACUSTOMER, was only the key itself replaced? When the engine wont start does it crank over?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

To BOBBYSS,

Thanks for reply. Yes only the key was replaced. When the engine doesn't start, nothing happens, doesn't crank at all. Nothing. This has happened 3 times now in the past 3 weeks. Approx every 15 - 20 attempts to start car and it happens. Car normally starts instantly when I crank it over. Also replaced battery 2 weeks ago, Seemed to have gone bad, tested as bad cell. Ed

Okay. If the security light is coming on when this happens then it is the most likely cause of this. Most of the time the key lock cylinder with the passlock sensor will need to be replaced. This should solve the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!!! Question - can the key lock cylinder with passlock sensor be purchased at any auto parts store, like Advanced Auto? Or is this a dealer part only? And can this be replaced by myself or does it require an auto technician and special tools? Thank you for your help!
You can purchase this at most auto parts stores and it is not really hard to replace.