Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1998 CHEVY VENTURE: VAN..RADIATOR..THE RELAYS NEED TO BE..FUSE BOX

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1998 CHEVY VENTURE VAN,THE RADIATOR COOLING FANS ONLY COME ON IF YOU HAVE THE HEAT OR A/C ON.I HAVE CHANGED OUT THE COMPUTER,THE RELAYS AND THE TEMPETURE CONTROL SENSOR FOR THE WATER TEMP AND THE FAN MOTORS STILL WILL NOT COME ON.
IS THERE A CERTAIN DIRECTION THE RELAYS NEED TO BE IN THE FUSE BOX?I HAVE TRIED BOTH WAYS AND NO DIFFERENCE.
THIS PROBLEM STARTED AFTER ONE OF THE QUICK-LUBE PLACES SUCKED OUT THE COOLANT AND REPLACED IT-ABOUT TWO DAYS LATER THE PROBLEM STARTED.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
so if you idle this van the fans will never come on and it will overheat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THIS IS CORRECT.THE VAN WILL START GETTING HOT AT LONG STOP LIGHTS IN WARM TEMPS OR IF I JUST LET IT IDLE FOR A LONG TIME BECAUSE THE FANS WILL NOT COME ON-UNLESS I TURN ON MY A/C OR HEATER
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok.now we need to run this van with a scan tool connected to the computer and monitor what the computer is reading for engine coolant temp.and then while viewing that data also see when the temp gets to 228 ish see if the computer is trying to turn it on.here is a schematic i hope it helps.but you can see the computer sends ground signals when it wants to turn on the fans.make sure both fan 1 and fan 2 fuses are good.if they are then we need to see what the computer is actually reading for coolant temp.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SO I GUESS I NEED TO TAKE IT TO SOMEONE WITH A DEVICE TO READ THE COMPUTER?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WHO SHOULD I TAKE MY VEHICLE TO SO THEY CAN FIND MY POSSIBLE COMPUTER PROGRAM PROBLEM
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
well check those 2 fuses first.any shop with scan tool capabilitys can be able to diagnose it