Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop forman Chevy Dealer and Tech for over 10 years. Bumper to bumper all makes over 25 years

How to remove the radiator fan assembly from a 2001 chevy cavalier?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

You will see by the attached picture that the fan has a bolt grommet on top and on the sides and bottom, ears that slip into retaining channels. When you remove the plastic shroud over the radiator, then you will see the bolt. You will want to disconnect the battery before doing the job, and unplug it. Don't put your hands near the fan unless the battery is disconnected. There is a chance it could come on, but very slim chance. Why tempt fate.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My part is a fully assembled radiator fan assembly w/ac; incl. shroud, moter and blade.

My problem is that after the bolt has been removed, and the other parts disconnected, I can't remove the fan assembly for replacement.

There is metal part that is blocking the top part from getting loose

Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Your talking about the upper core support. It is a tight fit. If you unbolt the radiator upper support {you will see the plastic ears pocking up through the rubber mounts, this will afford you enough room to remove the fan. I wish there were pictures, but GM figured it was easy enough they did not have to waste the ink.

I attached the pic of the rad so you could see the ears on top.