Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier, Technician
Experience:  35 Years experience specializing in A/C Repairs and Diagnostics exclusively to GM dealerships
13857296

1980 corvette: location diagram..solenoids..intermitant wiper relay

Customer Question

I would like to have a location diagram for the electrical components, on a 1980
corvette, such as relays,solenoids, etc, mostly looking for the location of the choke relay
and the intermitant wiper relay, but still all others on the 1980 corvete, Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 6 years ago.
Hello . Your car does not have a choke relay . The electric choke is operated by an oil pressure switch on the engine ( check behind the distributor or on the driver side of the block above the oil filter ) . As well there is no delay wiper module on your car . The delay wiper system is comprised of the wiper switch assembly " with delay " and the wiper motor assembly " with delay . The delay mechanism is integral with the windshield washer assembly which is attached to the wiper motor assembly . As far as component locations you would be much better off purchasing a manual from your local auto parts store such as Napa or Auto Zone . Clymer and Chilton's have a good selection of books that are really reasonably priced and you would up with a book with lots of information for you for your car .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Kevin: The car used to always light up a yellow word "choke" when the choke was being activated by thee relay. the wiring scymatic also shows a choke relay, I have checked the dedicated fuse for the choke top of the fuse box, it is fine. the bulb check shows the choke light is ok, but will not light up when first starting. this car does have a relay just need to find out were! need your help. Tony
Okay . Sorry I double checked the diagram and you are correct the Corvette has a relay for the choke . My component locator for the choke relay just says N/A for the location . I seem to recall that the relay may be located on the driver side firewall area the wire colors are 2 - brown , 1 - DK. GRN. & White . and 1 - Light Blue . Have you checked the choke wire for power ? If the wire is supplying power to the choke " heater " but it is " open " or has no ground the choke light will not turn on also . I am going to look up on my mezzanine for an older manual to try to confirm a location for the relay .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Keven thank you and I will be waiting to see if you can giv me a location on the relay Thaanks Tony
I have not been able to locate a location for the relay . Sorry . Take a look on the firewall specifically for those wire colors .