ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

how do i use a slim jim to unlock my 2006 chevy silverado

You can not open the doors on this vehicle with a slim jim, it takes a special unlocking tool
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not that I don't think you know the answer to the ? but I payed a locksmith the last time this happened and he used a slim jim to open it. So your answer confuses me. I have slide a slim jim between the glass and gasket and could hook to the bar that connects to the exterior handle it moves the handle when i pull on the slim jim. plus I have hit something inside the door at some point that has made the lock on the inside to show about half of the red unlocked indicator. So I was just wandering what or more importantly where I would need to try on the inside of the door to try and unlock. Where if your answer is correct could i purchase this special unlocking tool that you mentioned or is it only at my local Mr good wrench?
I all a slim jim just a long straight piece of metal with a notch or two at the end and on these vehicles you can not get the unlocking mechanism with it. Any auto parts store has these unlocking tools, there is actually a tool called a big easy that goes between the door and the side of the vehicle that is the easies to use, it also comes with a wedge that is used to make a opening for the tool to go through.

Edited by zzdaryl on 3/21/2010 at 4:46 PM EST