Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

Im trying to install my distributor in my 98 chevy truck,

Customer Question

I'm trying to install my distributor in my 98 chevy truck, on page 6 of the removal & installation it says to "ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area" what does this mean?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There is a little "8" on one of the "V" marks at the base of the distributor, you want to have the rotor point at IT rather than at the little "V" with a "6" on it when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center.

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once I install the distributor how far should I have to turn the base to line up with the little 8?
It has to line up when you put it in. Then there is a procedure for the camshaft postilion sensor retard offset. Let me give you that.

graphic

TEST PROCEDURE
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

1. With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
  2. Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature. IMPORTANT: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM.
  3. Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  4. Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
  5. If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0°+/-2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
  6. If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0°+/-2°, the distributor must be adjusted.

ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

1. With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt. IMPORTANT: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM.
  2. Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  3. Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
  4. Rotate the distributor as follows:
4.1. To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
4.2. To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
  1. Repeat step 4 until 0°+/-2°, is obtained.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3 Nm (25 lb. ft.).
  4. Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I line up the paint mark with the bottom mark on the distributor and install it will be about 30 degrees away from the 8
They sometimes don't go down all the way, (flush with the intake at the bottom) until you turn the engine so the oil pump drive can line up. You want to be sure it is all the way in.

graphic

1. Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
  2. Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.

Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.

graphic

1. Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 8 pointer that is cast into the distributor base.

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think this is above my pay grade!! lol Thanks for your help!!
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks