Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1989 corvette: no restart, engine cranks, good spark..injector..plug.

Customer Question

1989 corvette 5.7 L TPI. will start intially and run without incident. after shut down, no restart, engine cranks, good spark, good fuel pressure, noid light pulses at any injector plug. will start with ether and run, if shut down will not restart
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
When you see the noid light injector pulses do you also see fuel coming out of the injectors? If you have fuel and spark. It should start unless the timing is off or there is low compression. Check the timing it should be 6 degrees btdc. How many miles are on that timing chain? If more than 60,000 miles maybe you should check it. Fuel pump pressure should be 41-47 psi, just in case you needed to know. Check the engine compression both dry and wet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the engine is new
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, how long has the problem occurred? Does that distributor have the pickup coil inside it? If so has the distributor ever been out and the engine cranked or turned over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we replace the distributor, ecm,check the ground to the computer and gave it a ground,the some before the engine was put in

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Does that distributor have the pickup coil inside it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes on top
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

Bring the timing mark around to tdc, it don't matter if it is on the compression or exhaust stroke right now, just bring it around to zero. Take off the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is facing directly at either #1 on the cap or #6, next take the rotor off and look down at the reluctor wheel and the pick-up coil, they should be aligned ready to fire, like this.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they are aligned
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Ok after the engine gets hot it will not restart. You have spark and fuel injector pulse plus it does start with starting fluid and you do have good fuel pressure. Can you see if the fuel injectors are spraying fuel when the engine is cranking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you can start it and let it run for 2 seconds and try to start it back wont start hot or cold but if i spray starter fluided it will run, i cant tell if the injectors are spraying
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
You said it was a throttle body, take off the air cleaner and that shield sometimes found around the air horn, shine a flashlight at the fuel injectors where they would spray fuel and have someone crank the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no spray
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
And you have an injector pulse on the noid light? Them fuel injectors are dirty or clogged. I hear walmart stores with a shop will clean them for $20.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, should i replace the injectors
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i stated that it was a tpi system...tuned port injection. there is no way to see the spray. clogged injectors is not the situation here. the engine is new, the tps,maf,iac and pcm are new.all replaced prior to my seeing the car. i know there is a fuelm issue but it doesn't add up when i have good fuel pressure, good spark, the noid lights are pulsing, good pcm grounds, no blown fuses, no bad relays...it just doesn't make sense
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Make sure if you have an EGR Valve it isn't stuck open. Let me do a search for no start when hot in the TSB's.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
The only tsb I could find that didn't include a no crank was Both the MAF relays (Power and Burn-off control) should be replaced, click here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there a way to bypass the vats system?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
The only procedure I have is for removing the vats, click here.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
I just read a tsb on intermittent no start no crank and it says to remove the starter and clean the mating surface, click here. It says the symptoms are similar to a VATS related
condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it cranks fine but won't start... just for shits and giggles i removed the memcal from the pcm, upon reinstalling, the vehicle will start. i repeated the process several times. if i leave the memcal in the vehicle will not start, but every time i remove and install it the vehicle starts
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Has that memcal ever been changed? Is there a number on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it has ... it has a date of 01/19/10...it appears to be aftermarket...but there is a # XXXXX

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

I found vats bypass modules while looking up that number.

http://www.tpiparts.net/82_92_camaro_ecm_and_prom?b=1

Plus that number led me to camaro memcals.

Details:

VATS bypass module simulates a VATS signal to allow your car to start if your VATS system fails. The module creates a 30 HZ square wave signal which the ECM looks for before it will fire the injectors. VATS was found on all 89-92 Camaros and Firebirds, some 1988 Trans Ams, and all 1988-91 Corvettes. Will work on V8 and V6 models. Will also work on other GM vehicles with a VATS or PASSKEY I system, and on retrofit applications where VATS needs to be disabled. Installation is a simple 3 wire hookup.

Note: If you have a car that was factory equipped with VATS, you will also have to bypass the Starter Enable Relay located behind the driver side kick panel. They bypass module will take care of allowing the ECM to fire the injectors, but the Starter Enable Relay must be bypassed to allow the engine to crank. To do this, jumper or splice the wire at terminal A with the wire at terminal E.

Fitment: 89-92 Camaro
88-92 Firebird
88-91 Corvette

This is the only hit I get with that number.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/317647-where-find-memcal-prom.html

maybe it is best to search by the ecm number.