Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

Chevrolet Lumina 1995. Has low oil red light at the dashboard.

Customer Question

Chevrolet Lumina 1995. Has low oil red light at the dashboard. Just stops in the middle of the road. My friend changed the fuel filter. It worked for sometime. But, now it's back to its issue. It stops but when restarted it goes on again. After two days, eoday it stops in the middle of the road. It restarts but engine dies. Based on these symptoms, what could be the problem(s)?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
First make sure you arew not low on oil. I have to say that lol. but yes change that sensor. it will protect your engine if you dont need protesting if its bad. also make sure your oil has pressure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how did you guess your answers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.

actually I remember a vehicle I was working on and it had run out of gas and bropught a bunch of junk up from the bottom of the tank. you may want to change the filter again. if it work and then acts up again you will need to clean your tank and I would put a new pump in if its the old one. But low oil sensor will disable your car.

Also you can check the fuel presure with a cheap fuel gauge and fuel hose and clamps.

Edited by Jettadan1 on 3/17/2010 at 2:56 AM EST
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fuel filter was replaced just 4 mos. ago. When I brought it to Midas with the low oil light, they said they replaced the sensor. But after some days, the low light came back up. When I complained to them about it, they said it could be another problem, possibly, they said it's electrical. To solve the problems with your car ,they said, it would cost you more or less $1,200.00. It's so difficult to trust workshops now. Which specific sensor you're talking about? Where is it located within the assembly? Where could you find the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
That is highway robbery you can take it to the dealer for a one hour diagnostics for around 80 bucks. do you have a 3.1 or a 3.4
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it's 3.1.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
your oillevel sensor its on the bottom of your oil pan. but if you have replaced it I would be worried about the wiring or connection. I would try a fuel pressure test for your stalling condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now I know you're not guessing. That's why you got 100% Rating. I should have accepted the answer. But, I've got just one last question. Where can I find the fuel pump? Thank you so much.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
Your is in the tank. your welcome.
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience: Most of our fleet is chevy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We did take out the fuel filter and found it to be clean and ok. So, it's not the cause of my car stalling, stopping and just becoming inoperable. It has come to the point that I was stalled in the middle of the intersection and got caught by traffic camera. It would not restart. However, when it was towed and remained idle overnight, the next day it worked again, but stopped within 300 feet. My friend mechanic drove and balanced the brake and the gas and we were able to get back home. What he found out was that the temperature is high just within130.He asked his friend mechanics too who knew much more about the car. They arrived at a theory that it's the thermostat that stalls it. No gas goes through because overheating sends a wrong signal that gas is not necessary.

Now, it works normally after having replaced the thermostat. But the problem is that 'low oil' light is still there. As usual when you turn it off and turn it on again, the low light is gone.

I'll accept your answer despite the wrong prognosis because of possibilities of your logical analysis. Thank you Daniel.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
Good job. Over heating would have been a nice symptom to have while helping you. remember to check the wiring and connection on that oil sesnor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will replace perhaps the wiring. Thank you so much Daniel.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome.