carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field

Chevy chevette: the pinion shaft out after removing locking screw

Customer Question

chevy chevette rear axle wont come out,How do u get the pinion shaft out after removing locking screw?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 4 years ago.

Good evening.

Can you please tell me if your rear differential is the same as the one pictured below.?
Obviously the one pictured below already has the pin out that you are trying to remove.
Also, can you tell me how long the bolt is that you removed to unlock the center pin?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks like the same rear end The locking screw is about 1and a half inch long
Its allen head

Okay.
The locking screw should have about 3/4 of an inch of threads and then about 1 inch after that should be a solid pin... if this is a case, then the long center pin that holds the spider gears in place just needs to be driven out..

it is very common for this pin to get stuck in the differential carrier and just need a light tap to get it to slide out. Once the pin begins to move you can then turn pinion shaft so that you can slide the pin out of the differential carrier assembly towards you.

Once the large pin that holds a spider gears and is out, you can then push the rear axle inward and remove this C-clip that holds it to the side gear...

do beware that once you remove the large pin from the spider gears, if you turn the axle shaft the spider gears can turn out of the rear carrier. You understand I'm talking about more once you get the pin out of the rear end.

Please let me know what you find and how everything works out...

thanks, Josh

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried tapping the shaft but it is really in there should I use more force?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should I use a large hammer to drive the pinion out?

The only time that I've seen this shaft be so bound up is when the bolt that holds it is broken off inside the large pin that holds the spider gears..

If you notice in the picture in my last post you will see the bolt that holds the large pin in has a smooth section to it after the threaded portion. If you're lock bolt is intact, you will need to strike the large pin harder to get it to move.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is, the large pin that holds a spider gears must come out to access the C clips that hold the axle shafts in place....

Please let me know what you are seeing...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have closed up the rearend so I could get to the store but I will try again tomorrow.
It feels like something is keeping the pin from sliding out as you suggested the pin may be busted off inside.Ill know more when I oopen it back up.I think part of the pin is still in there.Any tricks for getting it out?

If the pin is broken off in their, I've had very mixed results. I have had luck using a blowgun and shooting compressed air directly into the hole that the bolt goes into while tapping the large pin. The air pressure will sometimes work around the broken section of bolt and force it out...

If this is a case in your bolt is broken off and you cannot use air pressure to get it out, the only other way to remove it is with an air hammer and the large pin that holds the spider gears will need to be driven out and the remains of the bolt will need to be sheared off in the carrier assembly. If this is the case, you may want to consider having a transmission shop remove the pin for you.
It is not something you want to do at home....

Please let me know what you find. Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You for your wisdom. I been working on cars forever and never seen this one.I'll give it a go.I need to repack my wheel bearings and am wondering if there is anyother way to do it?

Do you mean you to repack your rear wheel bearings?
These are not greaseable wheel bearings. These bearings are solid roller axle bearings and must be removed with a bearing puller and slide hammer..

please let me know if these are the bearings are you talking about...

thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes

Okay.
These axle bearings are definitely not repackable.

These are replaceable only. If you're getting noise out of the rear axle bearings, the bearings will need to be replaced and the axles may also need to be replaced. What commonly happens is that the surface of the axle that rides on the bearing begins to break down and cause the noise...

if you're not having a noise problem with the bearings I would strongly recommend leaving them alone.. if you must replace them, I'll be more than happy to guide you through the replacement but with the amount of tools and you'll need to buy you'll be money ahead having somebody else do it for you...

thanks, Josh

carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified , 16 yrs in field
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand now.I did not realize they were nonrepackable.The car is original and I just wanted to do some preventive maintenance before it siezed up.There is currently no noise so I will just leave it alone.I appreciate your helping me .ThankYou so much,Ray.

No problem Ray...

Don't worry if there's no noise out of the rear axle bearings you should be fine for many years to come.

Just remember to refill your differential and you be all set....

Have a great night, thanks, Josh