jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1, California Licensed Smog Technician

1991 chevrolet suburban: wheel drive..blowing..fuel pump once

Customer Question

I have a 1991 chevrolet suburban 350XXXXXand I am having trouble with it blowing the ecmb fuse and killing the computer but it is intermittentent and some times works. We have replaced the computer once and the fuel pump once. Give me an idea where to start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jim replied 6 years ago.
Check the wiring to the oil pressure switch, then disconnect it. If fuse B does not blow with the oil pressure switch disconnected and the wiring is OK, replace the oil pressure switch. If the fuse still blows, try disconnecting the hot fuel module. On C/K trucks, it is located behind the glove box. On R/V trucks, it is located at the base of the steering column. On G vans, it is located under the seat by the ECM. If the fuse does not blow with the hot fuel module disconnected, replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A little more info the computer module before i replaced it would start then blow the fuse. the latest module which was a refurbished one will not allow it to start at all it just blows immediately. Does this change how I would go about trouble shootig this problem.
Expert:  jim replied 6 years ago.
Check the things I have mentioned first and if you don't find the problem let me know.