cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
1511099

99 chevy silverado 1500: 2wd..i have removed all the oil pan bolts

i need to remove the oil pan on a 99 chevy silverado 1500 2wd. i have removed all the oil pan bolts and the support arm. still cany get the pan out. do i need to remove/loosen anything else?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
Oil Pan Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: The original oil pan gasket is retained and aligned to the oil pan by rivets. When installing a new gasket, it is not necessary to install new rivets.

DO NOT reuse the oil pan gasket. When installing the oil pan, install a NEW oil pan gasket.

Object Number: 834241  Size: SH

1. If equipped with four wheel drive (4WD), remove the inner axle housing nuts and washers from the bracket.
  2. Support the front drive axle with a suitable jack.
    Object Number: 834278  Size: SH

3. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier lower mounting bolt and nut.
    Object Number: 834276  Size: SH

4. If equipped with 4WD, remove the differential carrier upper mounting bolt and nut.
  5. Lower the front drive axle.
    Object Number: 310119  Size: SH

6. Remove the steering linkage shield, if equipped.
    Object Number: 309158  Size: SH

7. Remove the oil pan underbody shield.
    Object Number: 328107  Size: SH

8. Remove the cross brace if equipped.
  9. Drain the engine oil and remove the engine oil filter. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Change .
    Object Number: 310627  Size: SH

10. Remove the transmission to oil pan bolts.
    Object Number: 220633  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
  12. Remove two front wiring harness retainer bolts.
    Object Number: 310672  Size: SH

13. Remove the engine wiring harness retainer bolts from the engine oil pan.
  14. Remove the engine oil cooler pipe to oil pan bolt.
  15. Remove the transmission oil cooler pipe retainer and the bolt from the oil pan.
  16. Remove the closeout covers and bolts (one each side of engine).
  17. Lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 307275  Size: SH

18. Remove engine mount bolts (3) each side.
  19. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    Object Number: 260108  Size: SH

20. Remove the engine oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Removal
  21. Clean and inspect all parts. Refer to Oil Pan Cleaning and Inspection

Installation Procedure

Important: The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission bellhousing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission bellhousing plane.

Object Number: 260107  Size: SH

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8. in) long to the engine block.
  2. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrudes into the oil pan surface.
    Object Number: 63175  Size: SH

3. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8. in) long to the engine block.
  4. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrudes into the oil pan surface.

Important: Be sure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.

Object Number: 260108  Size: SH

5. Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket to the pan.
    Install the gasket onto the pan.
    Install the oil pan bolts to the pan through the gasket.
  6. Install the oil pan, gasket and bolts to the engine block.
  7. Snug the oil pan bolts finger tight. Do not overtighten.
  8. Install the two lower bellhousing bolts to position the oil pan correctly.
  9. Snug the lower bellhousing bolt finger tight. Do not overtighten.

Tighten

1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
    2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
    3. Tighten the bellhousing bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 310672  Size: SH

10. Install the transmission oil cooler pipe retainer and the bolt to the oil pan. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications .
  11. Install the engine oil cooler pipe to oil pan bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 10 N·m (89 lb ft).

12. Install the engine wiring harness retainer bolts to the engine oil pan.
    Object Number: 220633  Size: SH

13. Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
    Object Number: 310627  Size: SH

14. Install the transmission to oil pan bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 55 N·m (41 lb ft).

15. Install the front differential if equipped with four wheel drive. Refer to Differential Carrier Assembly Replacement in Front Axle.
    Object Number: 834276  Size: SH

16. Raise the front drive axle into position.
  17. If equipped with 4WD, install the differential carrier upper mounting bolt and nut until snug. Do not tighten at this time.
    Object Number: 834278  Size: SH
    with 4WD, install the differential carrier lower mounting bolt and nut.
  18. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 100 N·m (75 lb ft).

Object Number: 834241  Size: SH

19. If equipped with 4WD, install the inner axle housing nuts and washers to the bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 100 N·m (75 lb ft).

20. Remove the jack from the front drive axle.
  21. Fill the engine with oil and install the engine oil filter. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Change .
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech