kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2002 Chevrolet blazer: 4.3 2wd is idling..crank..mass airflow sensor

My 2002 Chevrolet blazer 4.3 2wd is idling when i crank it at around 6 and about every other time i crank it, it will stay at 1 and then spime up. i changed the mass airflow sensor and it is still doing it. is there anything you could tell me to fix this issue and help me make my truck work again?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but you description is hard to understand. Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? When you tightened the intake system did you use a torque wrench?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tightened all the nuts with a flat head and changed the mass airflow sensor. the truck has been sitting for about a year while i was deployed to afghanistan and wasnt taken care of. when i crank the truck it back fires and putters and backfires at about 1000 rpms. and then will either just shut down or spike to about 6000 rpms and it sounds like it is sucking in way to much air when it spikes.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
How much gas did you leave in the tank? If you take the gas cap off and smell in the filler neck does the gas smell rotten?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a quarter tank of gas... i also poured in barely any lucas injector treatment to see if that would but nothing, and the gas smells a little off kinda like not how gas smells when your pumping
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a fuel pressure tester? The first thing to check will be the fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is good then we will have to go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont have one at this time but i at least know that the engine is getting gas and the pump works
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
But if old gas sits in the fuel pump it can damage it and the fuel pump will not be able to create enough fuel pressure for the injectors to work correctly. Do you have an auto zone or an advance auto parts near you? If you do you can rent a fuel pressure tester from them and when you take it back they will give you all your money back. I really need to know the fuel pressure to be able to help you fix your truck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i will get one and get back with you, thank you for all your help soo far
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
just post a new message to this string and we can work together to fix your truck. And thank you for all you have done for all of us back here in the states.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are very welcome and ill be back on here tomorrow

Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont know where the accept button is to be honest. this is my first time using this website and if i can find it ill hit accept now and pay for your help (more of course) tomorrow because you are being the most help out of people that are here.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I have not given you an answer yet so the accept button will not come up till I hit the answer button on my end. If you would like me to i can send a response with the answer button so the accept button shows up on your end, but that is up to you. I would rather wait till I have given you a good answer to your problem first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is up to you really Sir..
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Lets wait till I can give you a good answer to your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
send me the button and ill pay you for today
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
But I have not even started to help you yet. i will send the button to you but it is your choice to hit it or wait till we have fixed your truck.
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i know but you are actually telling me things that makes sense and i live with 2 army mechanics and i ve had a certified civilian mechanic look at it and you are the only one who has told me something that i can actually believe and i dont mind paying for that. i actually applaud you for really trying to help me and i want reward you for that... im going to get what you said to get and each day that this takes im going to make sure that you get paid for each day. and its the southern hospitality i think due to me being from alabama but that is how i was brought up so take this money and enjoy and a bigger sum will come tomorrow.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I do thank you for the complement. But as I said you do not need to pay me till i have given you a good answer to your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i understand
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.