Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Steering speed sensor on a 1998 GMC K1500? How hard is it to change?

Where is the steering speed sensor on a 1998 GMC K1500? How hard is it to change?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

do you mean the steering angle sensor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Don't know what a steering angle sensor is. This thing is a round disc, looks like the new part has three wires.

this should be isn't too bad to install..takes about an hour and a half

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Steering Angle Sensor

Service and Repair

• Set front wheels in the straight-ahead position and the steering wheel in the LOCKED position.
  1. Negative battery cable. CAUTION: Before removing or installing any electrical unit or when a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with "live" exposed electrical terminals, disconnect the negative battery cable to help prevent personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or components. Unless instructed otherwise, the ignition switch must be in the "OFF" or "LOCK" position .
  2. Nut and bolt from upper to lower steering shaft connection. Slide lower shaft down.
  3. Position sensor connector by using suitable tool to pull connector down around the right side of steering column for accessibility.

Position Sensor Removal

1. Position sensor and bearing assembly from steering column jacket by pulling straight out. Use care not to apply force to sensor and bearing in a sideways direction.
  2. Position sensor from clips in bearing assembly.

1. Position sensor into bearing assembly.
  2. Bearing into steering column jacket. Align notches on bearing and column jacket and seat bearing fully into jacket. Use care not to apply force to sensor and bearing in a sideways direction.
  3. Position sensor connector.
  4. Bolt and nut to upper end of shaft. Tighten
    • Nut to 62 Nm (46 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Negative battery cable.