cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
1511099

2000 Chevy: 5.3 I am putting new roller lifters..new ones..small hole

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3 I am putting new roller lifters in truck and looking at the new ones I see there is a small hole on one side of the lifter. Is there a certain way the lifters are to be installed? Certain side the hole needs to be on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.

dont see that it matters just so the fit properly in the holder here is from the gm service manual

Valve Lifter Installation

Object Number: 63233  Size: SH

Important: When using the valve lifters again, install the lifters to their original locations.

If camshaft replacement is required, the valve lifters must also be replaced.

1. Lubricate the valve lifters and engine block valve lifter bores with clean engine oil.
  2. Insert the valve lifters into the lifter guides.

Align the flat area on the top of the lifter with the flat area in the lifter guide bore. Push the lifter completely into the guide bore.

Object Number: 63230  Size: SH

3. Install the valve lifters and guide assembly to the engine block.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the valve lifter guide bolt (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the valve lifter guide bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It wouldn't matter if hole was in front or back your saying? Is this hole where the oil goes into lifter or oil drains out of?

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.

on this picture where is the hole you are referring to located

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not see the hole on pic you sent. Bottom of top groove is where it is located. It is just a small hole, nothing inside of it that I can see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took a pic of lifter that I can send to you
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
send it here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphic

I can't get pic to load here. Do you have an e-mail I could send it to?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to run to parts start......again before they close so won't be on-line for hour or so but if you send me e-mail address I can send pic when I get back. Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
picture will not load. now what
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.

jack-gordon

@

sbcglobal

.net

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sent pic to your e-mail address
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok this hole is where the oil pressure enters the lifter it doesn't matter what direction this is pointed