hauto, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Work on all makes and modles, in my own shop 15 years hands on experince

chevy: 2500 express van - I had a standard radio with one plug

Customer Question

How do you change the radio in a 2500 express van - I had a standard radio with one plug in the back, I want to upgrade and purchased a chevy radio with cassette and 1 cd but it has 2 plug in the back. I plugged it in and it turned on then got the message "locked".
Category: Chevy
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

a locked radio, is a safety feature to protect radio from wrongfully being removed from vehicles. this also happens when the radio looses battery voltage.

all you do is call the any gm dealer provide them with the radio serial and model number

and they'll give you a code to input into the radio to unlock.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok - sounds simple enough. How do I enter the code that they give me and will I need a second input plug for the back of the radio?
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

turn the radio on on enter the code, I don't think you need a second plug, if the radio has turned on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since the radio is locked and it doesn't let me do anything (change volume, turn on or off, tuning - nothing at all and the radio is no even playing) how will I enter a code? Will it be by pushing the preset buttons in a specific order?
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

leave the radio on for 1/2 or until display says code

then simply enter the numbers you get from the dealer using the key pad on your radio.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I just went out and plugged it back in and "locked" came on immediaely. I left it plugged in for about 15 minutes and nothing changed. I was able to put a cassette in (the motor took it in) but it didn't play and I couldn't fast forward or reverse or anything. I was able to eject it. Sounds like the motor for the CD would have the same type of response. You said leave it on for 1/2 - was that 1 or 2 minutes or 1/2 hour or 1/2 day or what?