Andy, Shop Owner/MNGR/Mechanic
Experience:  2+years as Shop Owner, Work on all makes and model, perform all throubleshooting and diagnostics.
30036621

Tracker: ing fuses..When I disconnect the coil..coil reads..meter

I have a '91 Geo Tracker that is blowing Ing fuses when the ing sw is turned on. When I disconnect the coil the fuse does not blow. The coil reads near 0 ohms across the primary and 10-14 k ohms primary to secondary, I only have 1K and 10K ohm on the meter.
very respectfully
Bill E
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Hello Bill,

My name isXXXXX will try to help you.

Please tell me what fuse number is XXXXX?

Coil may reads low resistance near to 0 Ohm because it is a step-up transformer, you will need voltmeter with Ohm scale to check this and still may not be accurate because it a active resistance (impedance). Also on this car O2 sensors connected to same fuse (if it is ING fuse) if insulation on O2 sensor got hot and melted around catalytic or exhaust manifold will also short circuit and blow fuse, just inspect wiring harness from O2 visually for melted places, I have see that happen allot. If you need electrical diagrams please let me know I will copy for you as well all test procedures.

I will look for coil specification and will posted for you.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The O2 sensor is ok. The diagrams would help as what is in the Hayness Manual is mininimal. A suggestion was made to check th pickup in the distributer. no luck finding how to do that.

very respectfully

Bill

Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Hello Bill,

I copy entire diagrams for your car this is off shop manual, look on diagram I labeled "2" follow BLK-WHT wire (IG-COIL METER FUSE) and check following components for short to ground: Condenser, O2 Sens Pink Wire. There is nothing inside of distributor looks to me will cause for IG fuse to blow. Please let me know if any questions, I will help you father.

Thank you,

Andygraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic