Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2001 Chevy Tahoe: light stays..noise coming..drivers seat..exterior

2001 Chevy Tahoe LS

ABS light stays on permanently. Buzzing noise coming from underneath car approximately under drivers seat next to gas filter on exterior of truck. Told it was possibly the brake accumulator. How should we go about diagnosing and possibly repairing this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

This is the ABS control unit, which is attached to hydraulic unit. It can be replaced separately. There are internal relays which are stuck open within the control unit.
Unfortunately, they cannot be serviced separately and require replacement of the control unit.

Once the control unit is installed, it will need new software downloaded with the wheel size for it to function correctly. Normally this is a 1 hour labor charge from your local chevy dealership. And they are the only ones with this software, so there is no getting out of this charge.

It is located along the frame rail underneath the driver's seat area

NOTE After installation, calibrate the new EBCM to the tire size that is appropriate to the vehicle. Refer to Tire Size Calibration and to Trim Level Calibration portions of ABS Operation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the four T-25 TORX® screws (1) that fasten the EBCM to the BPMV.
    CAUTION Do not use a tool to pry the EBCM or the BPMV. Excessive force will damage the EBCM.
  3. Partially remove the EBCM (2) from the BPMV (3) enough to access the electrical connectors. Removal may require a light amount of force.
  4. Disconnect the four electrical connectors from EBCM.
  5. Fully remove the EBCM (2) from the BPMV (3).

Click image to see an enlarged view

To install:

NOTE Do not reuse the old mounting screws. Always install new mounting screws with the new EBCM.

NOTE Do not use RTV or any other type of sealant on the EBCM gasket or mating surfaces.

1. Install EBCM (2) on to the BPMV (3).
  2. Connect the four electrical connectors to the EBCM.
  3. Install the four new T-25 TORX® screws (1) in the EBCM (2).
    1. Tighten the four T-25 TORX® screws to 39 inch lbs. (5 Nm) in an X-pattern.

4. Connect the negative battery cable.
  5. Revise the tire calibration using the Scan Tool.

You are able to remove this separate from the hydraulic unit with the above directions. If you remove the whole unit, then it will need to be computer bled, so make sure you only remove the control unit itself

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me what the "BPMV" stands for as pertains to the ABS brake system on 2001 chevy tahoe 5.3
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

brake proportioner modulator valve